Savage Sporter

BWS1963

Inactive
All- I have my Grand dads Savage Sporter all in tact except for the extrator? I have the broken piece and cant seem to find a match online and I can't be sure the exact Model,no real markings on barrel I can say the broken exractor looks like it was "L" shaped not flat....Any suggestions...I would love to get this gun functioning again as my two sons have taken a interest in shooting. What a thing to be able to shoot your Great Grand dads rifle? Thanks in advance

Have you checked brownells. Also contact customer service at savage. You can't read the model #, what about the serial # it might help with customer service. Also post a picture of the gun. One of the savage gurus will likely recognize the model.

Pictures help, as does a model number.
Yes, pictures help. He gave you the model, it is a Savage Sporter, Savage's centerfire sporting rifle for many years (model 19 or 23, depending). The current model (bascially the model 10 and 110 and its many permutations) was introduced in the 1950s as a replacement for the Sporter.

Here are some pics and a couple of the pice that is broken. Maybe someone can ID the exact model then I can narrow my search...Thanks in advance
:D
photos

photos

photos

photos

Looks like part "34" (Magazine Retainer & Ejector, Rear) from Numrich Arms schematic of a Savage Model 23A sporter. In looking at the 23AA, that model is later and the magazine retainer parts are different.

I don't know of another good source for odd-ball parts beyone these guys. Perhaps, you might investigate seeing if you can find a REALLY GOOD WELDER (small, intricate, delicate parts ... not my kind of Farmer welding).

They are out there. I had one (dead now), Dick Nickle out in Washington State. I had a British 22LR Vickers and the piece that cocks the firing pin had broken, He welded that up over 25 years ago and it still shoots today.

I would NOT give up. Since this is a family rifle, you might even keep your eyes open on the usual gun auctions for a #23A (not 23AA). If you can buy it cheap enough ... you have a ton of parts and keep a family heirloom in operating condition.

I'm a Savage Sporter nut, inexpensive rifles that just feel good when you throw them up to your shoulder. Nice shooters too. That whole "23 series", (and 19 and 19-H as well) ... the 23A and 23AA in .22LR, the 23B in .25WCF, the 23C in 32WCF and the 23D in .22 Hornet are some of my favorites.

Thanks Good info...I looked on that site and the part is out of stock will look for it in the future.Do you have any insight on reinstalling the piece the piece?? A schematic?

Shot it this weekend with out the clip in single shot mode, 10 rounds. It had a few mis-fires so we shut it down. Ammo was new and working in a modern gun. I think the firing pin made need replacement?

Back