Savage Sporter Questions

Inliner

Inactive
If anyone can shed any light on this old rifle, I would be a happy camper.
I have a very old Savage Sporter 22LR (ser. no. 412xx, yeah only 5 digits).
I've been researching this rifle, and I have yet to find a photo of one with sights like mine The front one is a two peice arangement with a blued steel base and a brass or nickel blade. The rear sight is a hinged tab about 1/4" tall and 1/2" wide that stands up or folds down flat on the barrel, with no provision for elevation or windage. The side towared the shooter has a small white triangle in the center. The latest patent date is Nov. 20, 1917. There are no rings for a sling and it has a 5 round clip with a patent date of April 28 1908. Thanks for your response.

Last edited:
Some pics and/or a description of the stock might be helpful.

Your rifle could be a Model 1922, or if the stock has a schnobble-type forend, a Model 23A.

Savage Sporter

Thanks for the response. I don't have any pics yet, I'll see what I can do.
It does have the Schnabel fore end, and a metal butt plate witha an oval logo of an Indian holding a rifle and the words "Savage Quality trade mark"

Sorry for the duplication, but I was not sure which forum to run this question in. I must have misunderstood, they both seemed to cover the same topic.
I will continue in which ever one I am instructed to use. Count on the newbie to screw up:o

Last edited:
Back