Savage Sporter help

Arson Cop

Inactive
New to group so bare with me. Recently acquired a Savage Sporter in 22 or and need to confirm model. It really looks like a model 23a by what I have read and seen on the web but there are a couple of features I have not seen. It has the normal patten dates starting in 1905 and ending in 1917 and takes the knob type magazines......different is that it has lyman 55S rear peep sight and some sort of changeable front post sight (a "u" shaped clip holds the post in place), the stock is very nice and checkered on both ends. It has a black plastic hand grip cap with a metal "SAV" butt plate. Six digit serial number on right side. The person I received it from claims it is an NRA model but the stock is no where near the same. Photos to follow if I can figure out how to upload them. Hopefully this info will start the wheels rolling!

Savage Photos

Attached are the photos of my Savage. If anyone can confirm what model it is and explain some of the features....thank you!

Attachments

• Savage.jpg
    Savage.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Savage (1).jpg
    Savage (1).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Savage (2).jpg
    Savage (2).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 46
More Savage photos

More photos

Attachments

• Savage (3).jpg
    Savage (3).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 49
  • Savage (4).jpg
    Savage (4).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Savage (5).jpg
    Savage (5).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 42
Savage Photos

More photos

Attachments

• Savage (8).jpg
    Savage (8).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Savage (7).jpg
    Savage (7).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Savage (6).jpg
    Savage (6).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 40
Savage Photos

Last of the photos, if someone needs more, just let me know.

Attachments

• Savage (9).jpg
    Savage (9).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Savage (10).jpg
    Savage (10).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Savage (11).jpg
    Savage (11).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 40
It looks like a Savage 23A Sporter to me, however there was some work done to it. The front sight was changed and is not original. The rear peep sight was also changed. They were not checkered, and the plastic cap on the end of the pistol grip was added. I have collected the model 23A and model 19 for years. They are very accurate sweet shooting rifles. Enjoy!

Back