Savage: serviceable or jsut plain cheap

Flashman

I just looked at a Stainless 116 and a blued 110 at the local store. The 1l6's synthetic stock was warped and as flimsy as a wet noodle. The 110 had a much stiffer and stouter stock. Although Savages have been criticized for their fit and finish (and there is no comparison IMHO to a Remington, Winchester and even a Ruger) they have an excellent reputation as very accurate. But appearances are one thing. Will they hold up over the years; will they be reliable over time?

[This message has been edited by Flashman (edited 02-02-99).]

Savage is a good stout rifle. I don't know about the 116's stock I've not handled one. But you can change the stock and still have a less expensive rifle than a Remington. I've never had any complaints about any Savage I've owned, I wish I could say the same about Win and Rem. The Remington is better looking, but to Paraphrase Forest's Momma. Ugly is as Ugly Does. That makes my 110 FP a very pretty gun indeed.

[This message has been edited by Raymond VanDerLinden (edited 02-03-99).]

I have seen a couple of Savage 110 tacticals on the range. Comments from one guy who claimed that he was a Army sniper was that the rifle shot great for the first 500 rounds, but then the groups started opening up.

I have also heard claims that certain elite U.S. units are using the Savage 110 tactical as a throw away on ops. The reason is that it's a cheap accurate weapon to "leave" behind. The rifle isn't fired extensively so the concern for erosion of accuracy is not a concern.

I would guess that it's intially sighted in, used to achieve the objective, then destroyed and left behind when the operator exfiltrates.

RCH-

Your comment about that other guys tactical opening up is the first I've ever heard of such. The folks I know who have either the laminated wood stocked pieces or the tacticals swear by them. I recently acquired a 308 10FP and although I haven't shot it yet, have no doubts that it'll be sub MOA and probably sub 1/2 MOA after I work up loads and dial in the scope this spring.

The low end Savage line with the cheap scopes and all have never turned me on personally, although, here again, you see a good number in the fields with folks filing their tags.

-=[Bob]=-

I have a Savage 110 that is about 10 years old. It has certainly been a "serviceable" rifle. I have had no problems with it at all. My brother has one about the same age with the laminated stock, he has had very good luck with his also.

The Savages may not be the prettiest rifles but they sure can shoot!

Ed Eldridge

------------------
Gun control means using both hands!

[This message has been edited by Big Ed (edited February 14, 1999).]

Back