Savage Scout

PCurrent

Has anyone had the opportunity to handle or fire one of these? What was your impression of it? I find it funny that Col. Cooper hasn't mentioned anything about it in his commentaries.

I have handled one and I was not impressed. For the money you can build your own Pseudo-Scout on a Remington Action and have a higher grade rifle at the same wieght.

I wrote to Cooper on this subject. His comment was basically not to compromise the Steyr Scout: do not accept second best. I appreciate this attitude particularly since only Steyr developed the design and took the risk. They have also promoted it at considerable expense. However, what is a Savage Scout compared to something other than a Steyr. For example, how does it stack up against the various utility/econo-scouts or the various custom variants produced before the Steyr. Cooper's response was to purchase an SMLE or a M-70 Featherweight. Good advise unless you have the scout bug but not the resources to afford a Steyr. From the limited amount I have seen on the Web I can say this. Savage overall gets favorable remarks, particularly for accuracy. When they are criticized it is for fit and finish. Those who have handled the Savage Scout usually like its balance (sans Harris bipod) and feel. Only one individual who has one has posted his impressions. It is very accurate, has great function, feel and balance. He is having problems with scope mounting which may be related to using a pistol scope versus a IER scout scope. I will probably get one if comments remain positive and depending on how Bill Ruger, Sr. responds to my letter inquiring whether Ruger had plans in the scout area.

I picked up a Savage Scout in 7mm-08 last week (just because I HAD to have it). I've shot some 140gr. BTSP Sierras thru it & groups were great right out of the box. Savage seems to have lightened their triggers a bit over the last two years. The Scout is a well made, good shooting rifle and a great value. To get the Scout I SOLD a Remington 700 that wouldn't hit a Grayhound Bus at 50 yards no matter what it was fed. That's the second Remington I have had that I SOLD just to get rid of. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Scout - even if it's $2,000.00 LESS than Cooper's dream gun. This will probably infuriate the Remington fans out there but why spend the $$$ on a NAME if it won't shoot ???? I'll put my three (3) Savages against ANY Remington out of the box for accuracy. 'nuff said.

------------------
Harry

I'll be interested to see this rifle. I have my scout being built right now. I'm using a #5 Mk1 Enfield action and a new 2 groove 303 barrel. (I may convert it to 308 later) I have a Ram Line stock with the Pachmayer Decelerator recoil pad. I'm using an Ashley scope mount, Warne Maxima steel QD rings and a Leupold Scout scope. I'm retaining the stock iron sights (flash hider and bayonet lug milled off). The trigger will be reworked to come as close to a 3lb. "glass rod" as an Enfield trigger can come. The loop in front of the magazine is being removed and replaced by a 3rd sling swivel stud. After it's all said and done it's going to cost me about $700, comparable to the Savage after it's been all set up. I won't get it back until this summer :( I'd like to hear more reports on the Savage and see how my custom meaures up.

Interesting thing about Savage rifles-even though my personal experience with them is very limited, I've heard many people with far more experience comment that Savages are the "poor man's bench rest rifle." If I could afford a Steyr, I'd get one, but would settle for a Savage. I wouldn't feel shorted in the performance department, if it lives up to that rep.

------------------
Regards, Richard

I'm with HESENWINE and 45KING. I sold my Remington 700VS which did deliver sub-MOA groups but was the single most difficult rifle I've ever owned to do load development for. The fact that its chamber was overbored 0.090" beyond SAMMI specs had a lot to do with it undoubtedly.

My new short action Savage 10FP with a 20" tube also exhibits a much improved factory trigger and shot 0.385" 3 shot groups out of the box with both factory ammo and a standard receipe handload.

The Savage is routinely considered to offer the best out of the box accuracy performance of any bolt action on the market. This is constantly reaffirmed by folks in member publications like The Varmint Hunter.

------------------

This is my first post...Please be gentle.

Many, many, many years ago when Cooper was first deciding just what the Scout rifle would be, one of the rifles on his "possibles" list was the Savage 99. I believe it was the only lever action considered accurate enough.
Bear in mind, this was probably 15-20 years ago.
Doc

Back