Savage Scout vs.Ruger Gunsite Scout

bigdaddy123

I have the new Savage Scout .308 with accustock and accutrigger.A buddy of mine has the Ruger Gunsite.We have been trying to find the time to get a firsthand comparison.Has anyone here tested these 2 rifles head to head?

today

I have not shot a Ruger, but handled my first one today. It wore a $799 price tag. I bought a new Savage scout for half that about 10 years ago, an early model with no accu trig.

I liked the feel of the Ruger, the stock felt right, and it is adjustable for those that want to do so for length of pull. My early Savage stock is awful, flimsy and boxy. The Ruger is shorter than my Savage,and seemed quicker to point as a result. The flash suppressor was a turn off for me, as was the 20 rd box. I don't see a real need for either on a GP rifle, and shorter length and sleeker lines makes more sense to me, but Ruger didn't ask. They say you can put a can on it easily, I don't have one of those either. The forward rail is much better executed on the Ruger, and looks part of the rifle. In comparison, the Savage rail looks like something swiped from a WWI aircraft. The Ruger has sturdy, real deal iron sights, the Savage sights are commercial lightweights by comparison. I do like the over size bolt handle on my Savage, the Ruger is conventional and harder to find in a hurry. If the Savage accutrigger is like other Accutrigs, the Ruger will not touch it, but that's a guess.

My Savage IS a shooter, and even with a low powered IER scope, will shoot into about 1.5 MOA with any good ammo, repeatedly, and better with good reloads or factory match.

Sounds like you have a good idea. Line'em up, bang away, and get back to us.

I have not shot either one but given my past experiences with rifles from both companies I would stick with a Savage.

I tried a Savage Scout a good many years back, and more recently the Ruger. Other than the hang-down mag on the Ruger, I preferred it. Now that short mags are available, I'd likely pick the Ruger.

I have both...

I have run my Savage through thick and thin, it has performed flawlessly. Great rifle that sucks up the abuse.

I recently picked up a Ruger Scout, it has potential. I am a bit of a Scout purist so the mag/flash hider thingy sticks out as an oddity for me, but I have adjusted and really like the rifle ALOT.

Andy

I've tried the whole ar15 thing.I guess the older I get the more I tend to buck trends.When my friend and I get to compare/shoot them,if I like the Ruger I'll buy one.I do love my Savage.The Leupold Scout scope sure makes target acquisition a lot faster.

I have the gunsite. Love the 1/2'' stock spacers. Stock mag isn't as bad as people say, but the new single to double stack mags are nicer than the stock. Gun shoots like a dream. Mine came with a crisp breaking trigger, and the action is super smooth once contact points were lubed. Fast cycling on the shoulder is done with ease, and the recoil pad with the short barrel makes it kick less than anticipated. Haven't met a person that has shot it and didn't like it afterward. Iron sights are all i have on it right now so its legs have not been stretched out yet. And still haven't put it on paper to measure groups at 100. But are dead on and hit everything i wanted. The debate is on for what type of glass i want to mount on mine but i might just keep it iron sights until after hunting season.

Haven't shot the savage, looks nice though.

Comparing the two, the extractor on the Savage is a major weakness. I had a blown primer on a 22-250 Savage that broke the extractor years ago. The Ruger uses the far more durable Mauser type extractor.

Get the ruger

I have the ruger and it's a garbage disposal..doesn't seem to matter what I feed it, shoots everything well. I don't know if that's the norm or if I got lucky and got a shooter but it's awesome. Everything from factory 150s to some handloads at 180. It's a fun little rifle. And I prefer the full length claw extractor. I know it's just a preference thing but I like it. I believe the savage is threaded?? I don't really care about that feature so not a factor...to each his own but the ruger for me. Just flip a coin and get one haha they're both solid rifles

BigDaddy, you and your buddie have one of each. You are in a perfect position to do comparisons and share with us. I'm puzzled why you ask what you can answer.

I have the Ruger. Only thing I really didn't like was the OEM metal 10 round mag. Sticks out too far. Bought all three of the polymer Ruger replacement models, 3, 5, and 10 round. They are all better than the 10 round metal. The 10 round polymer is significantly shorter than the metal one. The 3 rounder is basically flush with the stock. After playing around with all three, I settled on the 5 round polymer for my "standard use" mag. IMO, that's the way Ruger should sell it.

Short and handy rifle that I expect to be using in the deer woods this year. Unless my 14 year old son talks me out of it first. He's working on it!

Gregg

Back