Savage Scout rifle

invisible

Inactive
I did a search on the Savage Scout rifle and was amazed at the negative reponses from some of the members. I'm primed to buy one of these, and while the negative posts don't sway me, I'm curious as to why some people say it's not well made, etc. Any thoughts?

The scout rifle concept is a pistol experts idea of what a rifle should be. It has been cultivated to humor the good col. The very idea of one is an ill attempt to change the worlds concept of what a rifle should be. For every reason you can give for one I will give you five why it is a pipe dream. The manufacturers bringing out scout rifles is an attempt to cash in on the followers and make a few sales as a result.

The Savage Scout deviates somewhat from the reference model of what a Scout is supposed to be. Now how important to you this is is something you have to decide for yourself. Savage has left some features off, most likely to keep weight and cost down. There's certainly nothing wrong with the action. Savages have a well deserved reputation for accuracy. It may not be as refined as the Steyr, but it doesn't cost $2k either.

As for who defined the concept, I can't see that it matters one way or the other. The rifle is an experiment to produce something new in a field that hasn't seen much fundamental change in a century. I'd say it works and works well. There usually is more than one way to accomplish anything, and this is a viable alternative to more traditional rifles. If you're inclined to experiment with new concepts, well, here's one to explore. If you prefer to stick with traditional rifles, there's still plenty of pre-'64 M70s to go around.

FWIW. I don't feel that the Steyr Scout makes it in the criteria. Might as well make one out of anything.
If memory serves, the good Col. originally felt the Scout should have semi-battle capability. That it be designed to be used in the capacity that a "scout" in the military perspective, be used. In my humble (?) opinion, the Steyr and Savage Scouts don't cut it. I believe that any "scout" rifle should have, at the least, the battle capability of the 98 Mauser. "Oh! But the Mauser is too heavy to make the weight restrictions." you say. Oh Really? Currently, I have in my possesion, a 98 Mauser, by Steyr no less, that complete with scope, full magazine, and scope, weighs in at exactly 5 pounds. Caliber .308, 19 in. barrel. It will put selected reloads in 1.25 inches or better, all day. It can't be done. Baloney. The stock, for those who are interested, is a Lawson thumbhole in the lightest weight configuration they make. Wood is Maple. If the clip guide had not been ground down to mount the scope, I could easily convert it to a "scout" with Ashley sights, Burris Scout scope, new synthetic stock and it would have the idiot proof battle capability designed by Paul Mauser. A rifle designed for war. This is the kind of reliability I want in a "scout" rifle.
Besides, even though it feels good, nay great, the Steyr is one of the ugliest rifles I've ever seen. The Savage version is infinetly more pleasing to my eye. I'm not adverse to synthetic stocks.
I heard there was an AD with the Steyr at Whittington. Hmmmm. If I can find me another good Mauser action, maybe I'll build my idea of a "scout" rifle. Just what I need. A good excuse to get another gun, :)
Paul B.

Get a good long look at the Savage Scout before you plunk down your cash. If it's to your liking, get one.

I have a Mauser scout also. Built it up myself with a 20" stepped military barrel with a T/C mount on the step. No iron back ups, no bipod, Super Sling not Ching Sling, and although it makes length due to short LOP, it does not make weight... The Mauser action is fantastic for scout type rifles but the amount of work necessary to get them exactly right is costly.

If you get a Savage Scout, your not in too deep in terms of money invested. It's basically ready to go from the factory- just add scope and shoot... The above setup ran about $500- but some excessive gunsmithing was done such as squaring the action, lapping the lugs, and facing the bolt square to the bore- it shoots 2-3 MOA but the scope limits any more precise shooting...

I agree with Paul B. the rifle should have semi-battle capability. (However, I did see pictures of the Serbs using the Steyr Scout as a sniper rifle). I'm working up a rifle on the Winchester Classic stainless action. Heavy bead blast 20" .308 factory barrel, pillar bedded, rounded recoil pad, Warne Peep Rear base and front base, a simple post front sight, and a good 1.5-6x traditional scope. This is designed to be more of a sniper scout or "snout" similar to the Robar QR2 rifle but without the target barrel and M14 mags...

Now the AD- that is scary.

DeBee. What I heard was the good Col. was passing his Scout around, and some yahoo pulled the spare mag out od it's compartment, inserted it in the gun, closed the bolt and BOOM! I read it in one of he gun ags, but I don't remember which one. I guess the Col. should have removed both magazines.
It wasn't a problem with the rifle, it was a case of a brain not engaged.
Paul B.

With all due respect to Col. Jeff, he ia over retirement age and is living in a dream world called Howitneverwuz, similar to Michael Jackson's Neverland, or whatever.

The scout is nothing more than an obsolete rifle with a intermediate ER scope and a light stock. Do not make it into something it ain't. The little Savage 308 levers, Win 94s, Remington bolts, and plenty of others will do anything it will. As will the poodle shooter, Colt AR15, which happens to be my choice.

The Col. needs to find a hobby to keep him busy!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

OK Gale......you've said several times that for every reason someone gives for owning a Scout, you can give 5 reasons for not owning one.
There is no arguing on this "For" owning a scout.....you will never be smacked in the eye from the scope on a scout rifles recoil.

Your turn....1,2,3,4,&5

Well, to answer invisible's question, I bought a Savage Scout. And I'm getting rid of it. Immediately if not sooner. My history with the rifle is as follows:

1. Returned it to the factory right out of the box because of a warped stock and nasty tool marks on the throat of the barrel.

2. Got it back, then returned it to the factory again because the scope rail was crooked due to an uneven rail base and the mounting hole in the barrel was off center. I spoke with the Quality Manager and insisted on a new gun.

3. The Quality Manager apologized profusely and sent me a new rifle with the promise of a spare magazine and factory tuning the trigger. It arrived as promised with the magazine and a beautiful trigger and a test group of .565", but while cleaning it after sighting in I began getting followdown (gun fires on its own when the bolt closes). Fortunately this didn't happen with a round in the chamber. Sent it back AGAIN.

4. Savage fixed it and returned it (with two boxes of match ammo), but now the trigger was lousy. At this point I didn't care, I just wanted my rifle.

5. Took it hunting in Vermont. First morning, I headed into the woods, loaded up the magazine, closed the bolt, and BOOM! Sent a round into the trees. Apparently the little followdown problem wasn't totally fixed. Naturally the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction, but THAT'LL get your attention, believe me.

6. Day two it rained. (I chambered the first round VERY carefully). By day's end, the front sight and parts of the bolt were very rusty. Cleaned it up, oiled it, and put the gun on the rack.

7. Day three, went out in the morning, loaded up (again, very carefully) and put the safety on. It was very sticky and hard to put on safe, and when I tried to take it off safe, it was frozen. Solid. So I was stuck with a round in the chamber, no way to unload, and no way to discharge. Stuck it in the trunk for the rest of the week. I managed to get the safety off when I got home by tapping with a cloth covered punch. Took the gun apart and found that rust had built up on the platform that the safety slides on.

Fun stuff, huh? I'm going to trade it in on a Winchester Classic Stainless Featherweight in .30-06 if I can find one. I've already got a cobbed-together Enfield pseudo-scout to satisfy my desire for the scout concept. I'm all done with this gun.

Scout Shmout..

I'd put my 116 up against any other maker's rifle at 100 yards.. including the overpriced monsteyrosity from Austria.

Invisible, if you want one.. buy one. I have a really NICE LAUGH every time some yahoo shows off his $1500 glass bedded sniper stocked model 700 remington that he STILL can't figure out how to shoot. Buy the savage, get a butt load of ammo and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.. you'll out shoot every armchair expert at the range.

Most people who deride savage rifles have never owned one.. if they DID, they'd shut the heck up an start shooting instead of talking.

I don't share Gale's unenthusiasm for the concept, I have an utter disdain for the prices charged for the steyr.

And if Col. Cooper is STUPID enough to hand a stranger a loaded magazine maybe we should take what he says with a grain of salt ') (really... i like the colonel but wasn't SOMEONE watching what this guy was doing with his rifle?). Oh well even experts make mistakes. Like suggesting a bolt action rifle has any use for close in combat.. sorry colonel.. we have AK's and AR-15's for that. :(

Even Gale (who makes really groovy stuff btw) would agree with me that NO MATTER how much you spend it does not make up for pratice and good shooting habits. Also ask Gale why SO MANY varmint hunters took up the sport with savage FP tactical rifles.

Cool Things about the Savage (scout) Rifle:

Price (damn its still cheap and WILL shoot moa)

Barrel is free floated at the factory.. the stock should not touch the barrel

Wieght (very light and the use of composites keeps it WAY down)

Durability: I've shot a 70's era 110b savage rifle for 15 years.. still shoots sub moa and its STILL used (by my brother) to hunt deer,elk, antelope in conditions ranging from 90 degrees to -20 degrees here in the high plains and mountains of colorado. The stock is showing wear and the blueing is thinning.. but don't bet it won't shoot.

Oversized bolt handle and true short action: that should be lightning fast to reload, (compared to older savage rifles with a spacer for short action calibers, which made a lot of people frown on them.)

Disadvantages:

Light gathering of LER Scopes is not great.. get a 30mm tube if you can. learning to shoot with both eyes open is a tricky thing.... and ler scopes tend to be low power so longer range shots 300+ will be difficult.

Savage Stocks, while light are TOO Soft IMHO. Its possible to easily overtighten the screws. SOMETIMEs the softer stocks DO touch the barrel.. but i haven't seen a significant loss in accuracy over this.

The trigger on the savage is adjustable, but from the factory its pretty heavy (this can be easily and SAFELY adjusted by a gunsmith)

You will have to put up with 2 bit yahoos riding you about getting a "real" rifle. Shut them up by shooting the ten ring out of the nearest target. They will still swear it was a fluke and there is no way your rifle will outshoot thiers. You'll find you shoot best with what you practice with. If you buy a savage.. you can afford to practice a lot.

(now BY THE WAY, there are winchester and remington rifles available for sale AS inexpensive as a savage, but those 'afficianadoes' don't want you to know that either)

Off my soapbox.. and damn proud of my little savage stainless all weather 116 with compact fluted bull barrel and muzzle brake. ;)

Dr.Rob

Thanks Dr. Bob for an enlightened treatise.

You said,

"(now BY THE WAY, there are winchester and remington rifles available for sale AS inexpensive as a savage, but those 'afficianadoes' don't want you to know that either)"

My brother is one of those varmint shootists you wrote about. His rifle? Savage. Why? He says they better out of the box than most rifles and as good as most of those others after most of those others have another $500 worth of smith work which should have been done at the factory (bolt not true, etc).

He fire-laps his rifles as part of his accurizing process. He claims 3/8" groups out of his .223. I don't know what he gets out of his .22-250 or .243, lots below MOA, I would suppose, from him. He doesn't like Savage triggers, naturally, but he has a buddy in Cridersville, Ohio that makes a drop-in group that works just fine. I wish I could remember his name.

I don't own a Savage, but my next rifle will likely be a short-action 10 in .308. It doesn't hurt that I'm a lefty.

Rick

Thanks to Dr. Bob for nothing.

Any time, any place, that's all I can say. For the money, Savage rifles definately will deliver, but they do not even begin to approach Steyr level quality. Not even close. I've owned many Steyr rifles and all were outstanding products. I'd pay the Steyr premium anytime over domestic products because I know the gun will work and work well. More than I can say for our domestic manufacturers. Same reason I buy HK handguns. I know what to expect out of the box.

SEE ALL THE BACKLASH!!!

Whew! You'd think it was 3rd season X-Files, all over again. (No, I'm not a "File-Phile", but I've seen this before, and it's not pretty... :))

I'm seeing remarks from some guys I really respect on this, and am a little surprised, but not much. We ALL get tired of watching band wagons go by, and eventually decide to set 'em on fire.

I don't own a Steyer Scout. I don't know that I will or won't. I've never held one. I can't afford one. Does this mean that I have ANY basis to judge one's use in the field? I know that Steyer products are VERY well made. I know that the Scout is designed to fill a different purpose than Mac's rifles. I know that the main reason a LOT of people are interested in getting the Steyer Scout is because they've heard it's the greatest newest coolest thing, and haven't a friggin' clue as to why it should be. They then either:
(a) mis-apply it,
(b) hate it because they don't understand the concept, OR
(c) keep it at home and misinformidly tell everyone about what it can do(that it/they can't), and why (which they're mis-quoting and making up off the cuff.

Now, honestly-- who wouldn't feel just a little bit of backlash against a crowd that harbors such a contingent, especially considering this subgroup CLEARLY has more money on them than they know how to properly use? I mean, we ALL know what WE would do with an extra $2600, right? If the fools of the world were going to just throw their money away, why couldn't they just as well have given it to someone who knows how to USE it?! :) ;) :)

Simmer down. I'm getting some, too, and it's called "sour grapes."

Friends went through it the 3rd season, too. Seinfeld, it was the last two seasons. So this, the end of the 2nd year of the Steyer Scout, is not too bad... :)

Sometimes one has to pay a LOT more money to get something different, well-executed.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

oooo postal match anyone?? ;) (not that this will prove anything decisively, but hey ANY day at the range is better than one at work)

I do NOT doubt Steyr's craftsmanship OR quality, The Steyr mannlicher and model M and SSG rifles are ALL classicly made, function flawlessly, etc.

But Matt is right, arguing the merits of a $500 rifle against a $2500 rifle is like comparing a model 70 winchester to a holland and holland double rifle in the same caliber.

Some people can afford a steyr, some can't. My point simply is that when you buy a steyr scout , you aren't getting darked figured rare wood, hand checkering and coin finished deep chiseled engraving. You are getting a well made rifle YES, but you aren't getting $2000 worth of extras for the price.. like I said that's just my opinion.

Iv'e heard people on this forum deride every make and manufacture of firearm and EVERYONE is capable of making/getting a lemon once in a while.

The original question was "is the Savage Scout a good rifle?" In my opinion.. based on my experience with Savage Rifles the answer is YES.

It sounds like Jason got a bad one... I too had trouble adjusting the trigger on MY 116.. i finally quit screwing around and let a gun smith (who is not under liability concerns that the factory is) got it just right for me.

I did point out that the stock is too soft, and the factory trigger is too stiff as Savage "bad" points. I still think Savage is a damn good buy. I also think the "scout" rifle should be made in stainless, as should ANY weapon you are gonna take out in the rain and snow and sleet and muck.

Best ways to IMPROVE savage scouts??

1. Make em in stainless. ;) (anyone listening?)

2. Buy a Timmney (or similar) trigger and have it professionally installed by a competant gunsmith. (you don't need the factory to do this)

anyway...

I've probably exhausted my thoughts on this subject for now.

Dr.Rob

X-Files fan
Savage Owner

I'm the proud owner of a couple of Savages too, and my .22-250 Model 12 BVSS will shoot 3/8" groups at 100 yds with good ammo all day. The trick to Savage triggers is this: You can adjust the stock trigger to about 3.5-4 lbs., with almost no creep. If you get it to no creep (esier than you think) then it'll fire when the bolt closes, so a little creep is necessary with their design...lust a LITTLE. If you want a lower trigger pull, get a Sharpshooter's Supply trigger, which will go 12 oz to 28 oz. with NO creep safely (my .22-250 is at 20 oz).

------------------
"Those who cannot understand safe design nor fine trigger mechanics need not consider the 1911, for them, the Glock is a fine weapon, since it has neither!"---by Me.

Back