Savage Scout Questions?

Monty

Recently bought a Savage Scout with Burris 2.75x scope. I haven't shot it yet but expect to like it alot. A couple of questions.

Is there anyplace I can order online a couple of extra magazines?

Who makes the best butt cuff for carrying a few extra rounds there?

How the heck do you work that sling that comes with the Savage Scout?

Any other good info you think I may need to know. This is not only my first Scout rifle but also my first bolt action rifle. Any special cleaning considerations? Thanks.

Monty,

Congrats! Looks like you are off to a good start. As for the butt cuff, Uncle Mike's makes one that's as good as any. If you want a leather one, Galco makes one that is nothing short of outstanding. You get what you pay for. The best thing to do with the sling Savage sent with the rifle is to throw it away and have a Ching Sling installed. This will require the installation of another sling swivel just forward of the magazine well, but the difference is well worth it. Lots of people can do the work, but you may want to take a look at the following links. Good luck! http://pweb.netcom.com/~chingesh/index.html http://www.beast-enterprises.com/

------------------
Mossyrock
I wasn't here. You didn't see me. Nobody can prove anything...

Hi Monty,

Guess I'll step out of the shadows...

You can buy spare magazines right from Savage. I got an extra one for my Scout, and they run $20 or $25. I'm kind of hoping someone decides to put out a 10 rounder...

I put an Uncle Mike's butt cuff on mine.

Regarding the sling, it's just cheap nylon but it works fine. Follow the instructions that came with the buckles, and then just use it like a ching sling. I didn't like the way the shooting loop flopped around, so I sewed a sort of belt-loop on the carry part which I slip the shooting loop. Very neat and it actually comes into action quicker. I also turned the front sling swivel slightly to keep the sling from bunching up in the swivel when I looped up and settled in for a shot. Again, it's just cheap nylon.

My gun came from the factory with a test target claiming .565" 3 shot group at 100 yards. Best I've been able to do is about 7/8, but I'm still getting used to it so I'll take it. The trigger was easy to tune so there's no creep and it is now very light (haven't measured it yet, I will this weekend). Got to be careful when lightening it though or you'll get follow-down.

My biggest gripe about the rifle is the stock. Very soft and slightly warped. I may replace it eventually. Other than that it's a nice economical yet functional rifle that has it where it counts.

Hi Monty,

Guess I'll step out of the shadows...

You can buy spare magazines right from Savage. I got an extra one for my Scout, and they run $20 or $25. I'm kind of hoping someone decides to put out a 10 rounder...

I put an Uncle Mike's butt cuff on mine.

Regarding the sling, it's just cheap nylon but it works fine. Follow the instructions that came with the buckles, and then just use it like a ching sling. I didn't like the way the shooting loop flopped around, so I sewed a sort of belt-loop on the carry part which I slip the shooting loop. Very neat and it actually comes into action quicker. I also turned the front sling swivel slightly to keep the sling from bunching up in the swivel when I looped up and settled in for a shot. Again, it's just cheap nylon.

My gun came from the factory with a test target claiming .565" 3 shot group at 100 yards. Best I've been able to do is about 7/8, but I'm still getting used to it so I'll take it. The trigger was easy to tune so there's no creep and it is now very light (haven't measured it yet, I will this weekend). Got to be careful when lightening it though or you'll get follow-down.

My biggest gripe about the rifle is the stock. Very soft and slightly warped. I may replace it eventually. Other than that it's a nice economical yet functional rifle that has it where it counts.

Back