Savage Scout owners?

Mylhouse

Hello,

I am looking for a light, easily carried .308 that takes detachable mags. The Savage Scout seems to fit the bill. I don't want to pay over $500 for the rifle, but it is important for me to be able to get MOA accuracy out of it. Is the Savage a good rifle? Is it capable of MOA accuracy?
For those that own it, what scope has worked best for you? Thanks much!

I second this question.

I am looking for a lightweight .308 to build an economical "scout" out of. My options are the Mauser 98 rechambered Israeli rifle (but I don't know how much it weighs) and the savage scout.

I saw the Savage at my dealers the other day. It was a little rough all the way around, but appeared very functional.

The other way to go is the Remington light tactical but the barrel is a little heavy for a quick snap shot. It is also more expensive.

What do the guru's think?

regards,

Olazul

to my knowing savages are preaty good rifles.
the only bad thing i here about them is there stocks. I dont own one my self i plane to buy a tactical savage i belivthe f10? but all i here is that the stocks are cheap but the rifle is a good gun. i would check on a remington BDL or ADL you can have thoes at about 400 to 500 and thoes rilfes are top notch. hope these helps.

house

Try the Remington 700 ADL 308. They have it in Synthetic and wood. Price on synthetic is 350-380 and ADL in wood is 400-425 depending on the dealer. Both are very good and can add detachable mag from brownells for about 125

I have and have had several newer Savage rifles. My experience has been exceptionally good accuracy - so good I'll not say just how good for fear of getting flamed to a cinder over it. I will say that the 7mm rem model 112fvss I have shoots as tight at 1, 2, and 300 yards with a couple types of factory ammo, as anything else I've ever handloaded for. It then get's a little better with careful homebrews Not that I'm a benchrest champion or anything, but with a trigger job by a smith that knows how to adjust them, newer Savage rifles are dynamite shooters.

If you want beautiful wood, or fancy looks, they're not there, but if you want a very effective rifle for the cash, I would and will buy more of them.

Cheers!

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I know that the Rem 700 is a good rifle and the "standard-bearer". I just specifically wanted to know about the Savage Scout. Does anyone have any leads on what good intermediate eye relief scopes are out there and how much they cost?

Mylhouse,

Find yourself a good used Remington 788 .308 and don't look back!! I just bought one recently. Shoots honest 3/4" groups from a harris BR bipod at 100 yards, better if I do my part and hold the dang thing steady. Got it complete with scope locally for $350. It beats the heck out of a 700 ADL, IMHO.

I have mine at the 'smith getting the action/bolt/trigger deburred and smoothed, getting a butcher 'glass bedding job straightened out and having the stock done in matte black epoxy. It will be my on duty "scout" rifle when it's done.

FWIW, the only Savage I have owned was an excellent rifle. It was a 110FP "Police" model in .223. Three of my handloaded rounds within the size of my pinky fingernail at 100yds with the only mod being a little trigger work. :)

R6

I have a Savage Scout topped off with a long eye relief Leupold 2.5x. It has worked well for me, and provides the quick shots when called upon. It is typical Leupold quality, although in low light I lost the reticle too easily, though not a surprise due to the low power. I can keep both eyes open and not have a problem aquiring the target. Burris also makes a decent scope for this rifle.

I am not sure of the Burris cost, but the Leupold was around $275 or so. I talked the store into a price of $700, including the rifle, scope, and rings.

Another lengthy ramble from North Texas- - - -

I've been working up my Savage Scout rifle to have it the way I want it. I am quite satisfied so far.

I paid just over $400 plus tax for the rifle.

The Leupold Scout Scope from Midway for about $220.
Rings were maybe $35. Mount came with rifle.

I really didn't like the factory sling setup. I got another stud and loop for maybe $10. Installed it myself, giving a true three-point mounting system. Then modified factory black web sling into "Ching Sling" configuration for about four bucks worth of hardware and an hour's handwork. Much better, quicker, and out of the way.

Trigger was only fair, so I paid gunsmith Scott Mays at Nix's in Lewisville, Texas, $40 to set it right. He did a beautiful job.

Last touch--elastic butt cuff to hold ten rounds for $9.00

Total investment, some $725, plus tax. Obviously, it would have been EASIER and less time consuming to have paid the $2,700 for a Steyr Scout. For that I would have gotten the pride of ownership, plus sexy gray color scheme, the retractable bipod and ammo storage in the buttstock.

The Savage stock is not really ugly, but it IS somewhat - - - Plain. I do not plan to fit a bipod--This is a light field rifle and I don't feel the need of a bipod. (Okay, my birthday's coming soon, and if anyone wants to make me a GIFT of a Clifton stock with retractable bipod, . . . No? I didn't think so.) The Savage action is a lot smoother than I expected. This and the large bolt knob makes the action QUICK with a little practice.

My son can put three rounds of Winchester 168 gr. Match ammo into an inch at 100 yards. My eyes are going bad, and I haven't gotten under an inch and a half. The low power scope and my aging eyes have something to do with this, but what the heck? I can still hit a paper plate from 200 yards with this rifle. It is quick, light, handy, and the .308 is adequately powerful. It is what I set out to have.

I spent a lot of time and effort breaking in the barrel in the manner of the bench rest shooters. I can't honestly say if it was worthwhile, but at least I've given the rifle every chance to do well. I'm still experimenting with loads. Between now and next deer season, I may well go to the 165 bullet, or even the 180, since this is essentially a short range proposition. Playing and experimenting is half the fun for me.

Oh, yeah--The iron sight setup may be the best I've seen on a non-military rifle. Williams aperture on the receiver bridge and a gold bead at end of the barrel. VERY quick and handy. I did a lot of barrel break in with iron sights while awaiting scope delivery.

Cautionary note--Take off the forward scope mount, carefully degrease, and replace snugly, using Loktite.

For somewhere between my $725 Savage, and the $2,700 Steyr, you could build up something very nice from a Remington or Ruger lightweight rifle. You'd need to add the forward scope mount and suitable iron sights. Unless you have a decent shop and talent, you'd also spend good money on gunsmithing. You pay your money and make your choices. I hope you enjoy your project as much as I have mine, thus far.

Best regards,
RR

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

Back