Savage "Scout" impressions

bradleyt

Anybody actually own and shoot one? The only Savage I've ever owned was a .243, most accurate sporter-weight rifle I've ever owned. Would love to hear from those who have acutally handled the Scout.

Yes, they do exsist. I have not shot one yet but from what I hear, they're OK. Don't be confused though; you're not getting a Styer. You don't get the scope, extra mag in the stock, and I don't believe you get the sling. I don't know about the internals, eg. tolerances, trigger pull. I did shoot a Styer the other day and it was quite pleasureable. Recoil was much less than I expected, great trigger, and it was easy handling.

If you can live without the extras and find the internals to be acceptable, it's probably worth giving a chance.

Yes, they do exist. Okay, I have one, see? But ... well, sorta. It's on layaway and I get to visit it every couple of weeks. I'm getting it outa hock at the end of this month, maybe sooner. First thing I'm doing is takine the scope off my Remington Scout and giving the Savage a workout.

Judging from my limited visitations, I think it's not a bad rifle for the money. For the price of a Glock or a couple of Randalls, you're getting a pretty well-made .308 that has the forward mount scope already set up and a set of pretty decent iron sights already on it. There's a detachable box mag (which I may or may not take advantage of) and an oversized bolt handle that looks ugly but seems to work pretty well.

I rarely if ever use a bipod in the field,so I'm not missing anything, I think.

For under $500 ...? If I can get respectable groups at a hundred meters with my 2x scope and an Aimpoint, and if the stock works as well for me in the field as it does in the showroom, I think I can live with it. I'd still like a Steyr one day .. then again, I'd like my own Humvee, too. Fat Chance.

I have a Savage 110 Tactical in the Choate 'Ultimate Sniper Stock.' It consistently shoots 1.5" @ 100m with US surplus 7.62x51mm.Rifle, scope, and stock for $650. This is not a scout, but I believe the new Savage actions are efficient, sturdy, and practical.
You should be able to build a good scout on a Savage.
Ever consider a Enfield No. 4 Mk2 in .303, cut to 'Jungle Carbine' length. Mine loves the Hornaday Light Magnum 150 grain, and shows close to 2600 fps on the chron. It WILL reach 400m with sufficient energy for your needs.

I just bought a Savage Scout recently. I've only fired a few (very few) rounds through the rifle, but it was accurate. It also had more recoil than I thought that it would have. I was firing .308, 147 gr FMJ (NATO stuff). I had a VEPR .308 and it didn't seem to recoil like the Scout (physics of the recoil spring, etc. I'm sure). It wasn't painful, just unexpected. Other than the recoil, the rifle is light, accurate and compact; just what I was looking for in a scout-type rifle. Heck, it was cheap considering the Williams iron sights included. I look forward to my next day at the range!

Some have complained that the Savage Scout scope is located slightly too high on the rifle. Do you agree? When you mount the rifle is it right on or do you have to adjust your position?

Flashman,

My scope hadn't arrived when I picked up the rifle so I shot it with the iron sights. I look forward to trying the scope. It doesn't appear to rest high, but a lot would depend on the scope rings, wouldn't it? The rifle does not come with scope rings. Infact, I was actually thinking of getting rings that sit very high to allow me to use both the scope or the iron sights. You have any thoughts on that?

Back