Savage Rifles

RadRy

Inactive
Newbie needs help-

I am just now getting in to hunting and firearms, and am looking for a good all purpose starter, or decent rifle (.30-06???)

Recently I found in a used gun shop a-
About six month old (only 20-40 shots taken)
Savage 110 .30-06 with walnut stock factory rings and a fair Bushnell scope.
Overall the rifle is in pretty decent shape(all that I could find were two scratches on the stock.)

I have been able to pre-deal the guy down to $275 out the door after tax.

Was hoping to get a little feedback from some experts.
Is this-

a good price?
a good rifle?

Thanks for your help

That's not a bad deal. Have the dealer take off the scope and keep it and dicker down some more though, unless it's one of their better quality scopes. Get the best scope you can afford to put on it.
Check if any of the screwheads have been disfigured, take a good look at the bore (no scratches etc), bolt and wood/metal fit. Usually newer weapons like this are sold for a reason (need money, won't shoot or group well, etc). Often they can be worked on with minor fixes.

You won't go wrong with a savage rifle, don't let the low price fool you. That savage SHOULD shoot sub moa at 100 yards out of the box.

Stuff you should know:

savage factory rings are aluminum, and aren't as good as steel redfield or burris mounts, they can be bent, over torqued, sheared etc. Replace the rings.

Bushnell isn't a bad scope, but if it ever fails replace it with a tasco scope. Tasco has a lifetime no-hassle warranty. You break it, send it back and they will fix or replace it free of charge.

I've owned 2 savage rifles in 30-06, for best accuracy try a box of federal premium 165 gr bullets.

good hunting,

Dr.Rob

I have recently acquired a Savage Scout in 308 and have no complaints with the quality of recent production Savage rifles. Just not sure what do with it now that I have it. Didn't really have a need for a 308 bolt action. Oh well.

------------------
Buy, Sell and Trade guns in WV!
http://onelist.com/community/WVGunSwap

there is a current thread going about H&K 91 vs. Stoner, read it as we kinda cover the savage system a good bit, don't ask how read it and you will see.

Back