Savage rifles in 223

rebs

I would like to hear about the Savage 12 FV and Savage 12 light weight varmint. Does anyone have these rifles and what do you like and dis like about them ? Also how good is the accuracy ?

I have a pre-accutrigger 12FV in 22-250. I love it. Accuracy is outstanding. At 100 yards, you can cover a 40 round group with a dime. I highly recommend the rifle as long as you don't have to carry it much. I can't comment directly on the lightweight but I do have a pre-accutrigger 110 in 30-06 that is also ridiculously accurate as long as you keep the barrel cool.

I see no reason why a Savage in 223 would be anything but a tack driver and I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

I would like to hear about the Savage 12 FV and Savage 12 light weight varmint. Does anyone have these rifles and what do you like and dis like about them ? Also how good is the accuracy ?
I don't have a 12 but I have a Model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter I just purchased a few months ago. So far, it's the most accurate gun I've ever had.

I looked at the 12FV at Cabelas and, even though it's a great deal, it's not a rifle I would consider handy for anything other than shooting off of a bench.

Federal Gold Medal Match with 69gr SMKs was exceptionally accurate as well as hand-loads with 68gr Hornady HPBT bullets. My gun will also shoot the 75-77gr bullets but I just haven't worked up a load for those yet.

Supposedly not all of the 1:9" twist guns will shoot the 75-77gr bullets.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't have the Savage models you have listed but I do have a Savage model 10/110.
It's a distributor special made with a 20 inch heavy barrel, 1in9 twist, large bolt knob, synthetic stock, and Accu-Trigger, the distributor that sold them listed the rifle as their 4x4 truck gun model.
With my handloads the rifle will consistently shoot 5/16 inch groups at 100 yards, easily one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.
Even though I'm not real fond of the Accu-Trigger system if I was looking for another 223 bolt gun I would be looking at Savage.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

I have the Savage 12FV in 308.

That's a Cabella only gun.

It was my first Savage, I now have a second long action as a result of that, so overall I like the gun and its barrel changing ability is a wonder (about $80 in basic tools, a bit better to do if you have a few more like a torque wrench)

So, first it has a HEAVY barrel. Problem with nomenacluare is everyone has a different idea of what terms mean.

In Savage speak, a Varmint barrel is one step shy of a bull barrel (I think its like .860 at the muzzle). 26 inch so its boht a bit heavy and not a great hunint gun though it woujld be a great varmine gun shooting form a fixed psotion)

It also has the Acu trigger ( love it) . Again it takes a bit of sleutihgn and question, but in thjis case the acu trigger turns out to have 3 varisons.

Hunting: 2.5 lowest settting.
Vargmine: 1.5 lb lowes setting (that's what the 12FV has and mine is set lowest and that's good for now)
Target: 6 oz lowest setting and if it comes OEM it has an orange blade.

Some don't like the blade in the trigger, ala Glock, I am fine with it, acts a bit like a two stagte trigger (though no weight to it).

Initialy I got a lot of sub 5/8 groups, sub 1/2 and one .250 (108 yds) all 5 shot.

Either I drifted off or it did, those are now up around 7/8 (I have a bull 308on my project rifle (used) I am cross testing with.

Not sure if I went South shooting or the barrel did a bit.

It has a low cost plastic stock I would (and am going to) replace.

I like the Laminated thumb hole stock (I got that on my project rifle and it works very well for me).

I would go with the following as it has pillars for a bit better help on the action.

http://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhole-Varmint-Stock_p_14233.html

Also a wide range of synthetic stocks with various bedding blocks, I just don't like the look of plastic though its very (and more so) functional for the purpose of small groups.

Overall I think its a great starter, Cabelal's had mine on sale at $380, I have seen them for as low as $320 with a Savage rebate (you have to fight for the rebate sometimes)

Its an excellent entry gun and only needs a good stock to upgrade to a very good rifle in my opinion.

If you want to shoot multiple calibers the barrel change is straight forward though I do recommend the head space gauge set for the first time doer (me) a breaker bar is good to get off the nut initially (segmented on this model, other models like the 10t have the smooth one and its harder to get off)

If you go that route, get the ACTION Wrench not the barrel vice (from Northern Shooters Supply). It is better setup to do the Savage (and Remington 700 with what they call the Ramage conversion).

It also has excellent instructions and torques specs for all 3 bolts that you tighten on the action. .

If I was going it again I would go with the short barrel nut wrench and with breaker bar it would come off just fine (I was not sure so I got the longer dual nut tool, I don't need the old nut type but it had 7 inches of length vs 4 inches for the short one) and that was more leverage though not needed (in a vice)

I don't like to use a hammer on a tool like that ergo the 1/2 inch breaker bar.

You don't need the barrel vice as once the nut is loose at works you just clamp the barrel between two blocks of wood and it comes off.

A vice is a very good to almost mandatory need. , the NSS tool has a cutout for that purpose which is another plus (actin screw in the middle to index the receiver and a cutout for the recoil lug, very well done)

Last edited:
Back