Savage rifles: Barrel/Calibre interchangable?

Matrix

I am considering purchasing a Savage, and I think I remember reading somewhere that the barrels are easily switched out. Is this true? And is it easy enough that someone could do it without a gunsmith? THis may be a stupid question, but it would be nice to just buy a new bolt and barrel without having to buy a new rifle.
Thanks

Many years ago a friend of mine had a Savage 110 action set up with two bull ballels. The gunsmith set the headspace on both barrels and put an index mark on the action and the barrels so that my friend could change the barrles with a strap wrench. Both calibers used the same case head size so the same bolt could be used.

Neil Casper

Consider the fact that the .308, 30-06, .270, .243, 7mm-08 all share the same parent case. I'm sure that there are probably about 500 cartridges that I haven't mentioned, but you get the picture. So it is feasible to be able to switch barrels.

Keep in mind though that if you were to go for a 30-06 and (lets say) a .243, the difference in the length of the two cartridges could cause problems in the magazine. There will be a big space in the magazine that will have to be 'filled' in order to get reliable functioning. A competent G'smith should be able to fashion a filler block that you could remove and replace when needed.

I like the idea of having one rifle with a few interchangable barrels. It offers a flexibility that is very attractive, especially if the spousal unit will only allow ONE gun!

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Unkel Gilbey

If I can remeber to ask him next time I see him I'll find out for sure, but it seems like it may have been a .22-250 and 6mm Rem. I'm not sure at this point. I'll try to get back with the straight stuff.

Neil Casper

I talked with my frend today and he said the calibers were .22-250 and 6.5-06.
He had the action mounted in a very large, heavy piece of walnut. I called it his "Rail Road Tie Gun". It was vey accurate with either barrel. It took about 5 minutes to change barrels.
They had a catastrohic house fire a number of years ago, and that rifle was just one of the casualties.
Neil

Back