Savage Rifles - any count?

Big Al

Hey fellas

I'm new here. First off, let me tell you that I'm ABSOLUTELY ignorant when it comes to rifles. I'm a handgun enthusiast, and when it comes to deer hunting I do it all with a bow. However, I found a pretty good deal (I think) on a deer rifle. I'll describe it, and if you guys don't mind, tell me if i'm getting a good deal.

It's a Savage 111, 22" barrel, synthetic stock, 30.06 caliber. The scope mounts are made into the reciever, no open sights. It comes with a 3x9 32mm Bushnell sportview scope. price is 250$. It was bought last November from a store, shot less than 50 times.

What do you think?

------------------
Glock 19
S&W 629 Classic
KelTec P32

"Oh yeah? Well I talk LOOOUDLY! And I carry a BIIIGGER stick! And I'll use it, too." -Yoesemite Sam

Sorry, I can't comment on that specific rifle model because I've never owned or fired one, but it's chambered in an excellent caliber. For $250, unless it is an abused POS, it sounds like a heck of a deal.

Why are they selling it?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

I have two savages. While I can't comment on that particular rifle, my .22-250 12BVSS will shoot into less than a dime sized group at 100 yds. all day with good ammo. My 116 .338 Mag will shoot under 1.5" at 100 yds. I am almost sure that the .30-06 that you're looking at will shoot under minute-of-elk just fine. The triggers on Savages are notoriously bad, but they can be adjusted easily (by you) to a reasonable amount (3.5-4 lbs.)Sharp Shooter parts has a trigger system for them that's great, but too light for a hunting rifle. my .22-250's trigger is at 20 oz.) Overall I'd say that they are an excellent deal for the money.

Big Al, savage has really cleaned up thier act in the last five years or so. In my eyes they are ugly rifles, yet I own quite a few. The fact is I'd rather buy a cheaper rifle that is ugly than a high priced pretty one when they shoot the same. I dabble mostly in the heavy barrels, so as the other two I don't know about that specific rifle. Sounds like a great deal.
The savage's acurassy is noted for the large locking ring that connects the barrel to the action. This is also what makes it apear ugly. The idea is there is constant and equal pressure entirely around the barrel.
With that little 22" it would make a fine hunting rifle in the woods. I can only make two bad comments about a savage. First thier bluing jobs aren't perfect, but then again that's the difference in price between these and the high dollar rifles. I will say even though the bluing looks shabby I have not yet had one rust, even with a little neglect.
Secondly they have a sloppy trigger. This can be remidied easilly by a gunsmith or online instructions by simply typing savage trigger adjustment into your search engine. All centerfire Savage rifles still utilize the 110 type trigger. The idea in adjustment is to get the slop out for a crisp clean break, weight adjustment can be done if desired, but that's not needed for the average shooter.
Good day.

Back