savage rifles accuracy?

tim

I keep hearing how accurate savage rifles are. Can I just go to Walmart and but the rifle/scope package I see there for $350 and have a goog rifle? Or am I looking for a certain model? I'm looking to but a .308 bolt rifle and would like to hunt/target shoot with it. I have other rifles in different calibers so I want to keep the cost down,yet shoot well at the range. Thanks for any input?

Hi Tim,

Obviously, accuracy varies with individual rifles and the rifle/ammo combination. That being said, modern Savage rifles, type by type, have proven to be as accurate as any factory production rifle on the market.

The drawback with Savage is that their trigger is not as good as some others, but with all makers adding poundage for fear of lawsuits, that is probably not as important as it once was. The triggers can be adjusted or replaced (if you can find a smith who will work on a trigger) and the results are often pretty good.

I think Savage's big problem is that the rifles just don't look as sleek as do some others, and one's shooting buddies tend to sneer (unless you outshoot them).

Jim

Mine, in the Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock, shoots sub-MOA with NM ammo. No other mods. Great gun, and some luck on my part.
Inexpensice- yes. Cheap- NO!

------------------
Train like you fight: second place is not an option.

I bought my Savage .270 about 7 years ago. The package deal, with scope and sling. Replaced both the scope and sling, but I did use the scope that it came with for about 2 years. My rifle is at least as accurate if not better than any belonging to the guys I hunt with - Win., Rem, Ruger. I have been very happy with it.
B

Well i can only speak for myself. But don't let me shoot my savage at you. I'm shooting a savage model 116 FSAK waither warrior (comapcte flited stanless barrell with muzzel brake) in 30-06 with Burris rings and mounts and a tasco 3x9 worrld class scope. I'm shooting .5 in moa at 100 yards with my sierra 165 handloads. The only complaint I have with thhis ririfle is that the composite stock is too soft.. its possible to overtighten the screws.

Previous to purchasing this rifle I had a savage 20 year old 110B model in 30-06 that will still shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

For me, Savage has been reliable, accurate and stone simple. That's not cheap. That's value.

Dr.Rob

Back