Savage rifle

burrhead

I've looked at Savage Arms online catalog and I can't figure out the difference between the 110 and the 111. I'm sure someone here knows and will tell me. Any comments on Savage quality will also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

------------------
Join the NRA.

I own 2 Savage 110's.....a 243 and a 308. Both are excellent and very accurate. I don't claim to be a Savage expert, but I believe the difference between a 110 and a 111 is the availability of iron sights. The 110's are scope only. If I remember correctly the 111's have iron sights.

As far as Savage quality I am all for them. Some points af interest. Savages and Remingtons have a push-feed type bolt. Much stronger in the locking lug area than Rugers controlled-feed type bolt. Advantage Savage and Remington. Of the three rifle types, the Savage is the only one with a free floated barrel. This provides enhanced accuracy. Advantage for Savage. People say that the Savages are ugly, but I am more concerned anout performance. The only gripe that I have about the Savage is the squared trigger. Both of mine have aftermarket triggers to alleviate this. Accuracy a question? I handload for both. My 243 will shoot 95 gr Nosler Ballistic tips exceptionally well. I am talking about .4" 6-shot groups at 100 yards. Very sufficient for deer out to 300+ yards. The 308? Same thing. One hole groups at 100 yards with handloads.

Major advantage for the Savage? Check the price tags. Here they run about $340 to $360 dependent upon stock material and come with a Simmons scope mounted and bore sighted from the factory. (Mine have different scopes now.) Either way the Savage is economical, rugged and extremely accurate for just about any hunting purposes.

Burrhead, BMiracle's post pretty well sums up the comments about the Savage rifle that I've seen here over the past year +.

One of those in 7mm-08 would be a real good ticket for where you'll be hunting...

:), Art

Thanks for the info BMiracle. Saw a 110 package with a synthetic stock at Wally World for about $330 today and it seemed awfully cheap. I guess I'll go pick one up.
BTW Art, I'm going to go with a 243. The biggest thing I'd shoot out in T land is coyotes. ;)
Thanks again guys.

------------------
Join the NRA.

Back