Savage rifle vs muley

Jack O'Conner

I'm certain that some hunters have the assumption that a takes a big scope and magnum rifle to be successful on a mule deer hunt. But many hunters do just fine with their hard hitting Savage rifles combined with genuine hunting and stalking skills.

Jack

Nice buck! I killed 2 cow elk with a Savage 99 in 300 Sav. as a kid. Does the job. My dad sold that rifle years ago, I wish he hadn't.

Now that's the way to do it. Nice size buck. Good look'in 300 E model too. Don't know how you handled those hills there. But that's were their undoubtedly at. A guy on the ground has to do what it takes (hills & swamps) Old School stuff as I call it. Congras are owed no doubt.

Now a days I like so many others jump on my 4 wheeler before the break of dawn. I ride mine up to within an arms length of my enclosed stand which over looks a food plot. Climb up sit in a nice soft office desk recliner. Look out thru that panoramic view from up high into darkness. I don't find it necessary to carry a rifle anymore. I leave it up there in the stand as I find it inconvenient for me to drag it back and forth everyday from the cabin to the stand. (it's such a strain having too do) I then see that a shell is chambered set it back in its right-full place (the corner) turn a put on my headphones on and dial in some nice music from my generation. (real rock and roll >50-60s) then pour me a cup of coffee. Then I'm pumped and I'm ready. After a minuet or so. I figure I had better settle back for a long exhausting hour and a half (1-1/2 hr.) hunt. Morning and evening that same routine is in play for me till I get my quarry. I wonder if am I a Hunter or just a Shooter? The State sells me a license and refers to me as being a hunter. But I know from years past what my father would say. "No hunting skill seen there son: Behavior like a _"Turkey roosting up in a tree is more like it."_ I wonder?

S/S

I have no quarrels with scopes, 4 wheelers, blinds, or treestand hunting. Some states even allow baiting and I have no quarrel with legal baiting either.

Sometimes the challenge of hunting with open sights is rewarding in itself.

Jack

hey, if i can spot and stalk with a bow, any shootin iron will do just as well. its all about how much ninja smoke you have ;)

Nice buck and congrats. I shot my first deer with a 300 Savage in a model 99 and have no problems using it now. I do however like a scope, mostly due to my eyesight though. Not bad enough for glasses but no where near as good as it was 37 years ago when I shot that buck:D

Great rifle and a nice buck.
As a young man I killed a lot of Missouri deer with a 99, as of last year that's what I started hunting with again.
Both my 99's have iron sights only, even with my old eyes I'm shooting them pretty good.
Thanks for the picture.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Since when was a 300 savage a minimal cartridge? Its right there with the 308 and 06. Maybe a tad less, but not by much, and a lot more than a 243. Magnums are great for the long shots, they have more energy down range. They also work well for the close ones. You don't have to have a magnum to hunt deer but if you like them, why not.

Congrats, that is a beautiful deer.
I'll never forget a guy I met while hunting mule deer in Colorado. He was also from a southern state and assured me that mule deer required a magnum caliber to get the job done. He told me some sad stories while eyeing my underpowered 270 Win. It was difficult to keep a straight face but I was enjoying the mountain too much to start an argument.
You can certainly meet some interesting people in such places.

Back