savage pistol

jomommy

I recently picked up a Savage .22 single shot/single action "revolver" . (it doesn't revolve but looks like one). Google searches have turned up nothing on this particular piece.
ID on the barrel; savage arms corporation
chicope falls, mass usa

and model 101-22 cal lr

serial # on the bottom of the grip 17181.
Wooden single screw grips with Indian head engraved.

Anyone have any info or can direct me to any references?

It shoots great, my kids love it.

I will post photos if necessary, but I'll have to wait til the kids are home to show me how to do it.
thanks jo

Your gun was made for only 8 years(1960-1968).My references show very litte else about it except made in Chicopee Falls or Westfield,Mass.It's value should be $150 for good to $200 for very good condition.Sorry I can't help more.I hope you and the kids get many pleasant outings with it.

22 Savage model 101

I got one in very good condition, and made a case for it. About 10 years ago I paid 100.00 plus 7.00 state tax. I only shot it 5 times
Here is what I have on it: Pistol and Revolver Guide by Major George Nonte (U.S.R. Ret.) Revised Second Edition 1967 and 1970.

The New Illustrated Encyclopedia of Firearms, by Ian V. Hogg. 1992 Show a picture which states "The Savage Model 101 looks like a revolver but was in fact a single shot pistol."

Here is what I know girps are made of compressed wood and frame is aluminum, barrel and ejector rod. ejrctor tube made of steel.

I just got it out to take a look, no rust. It been about two or three years ago when I shot it. I have large hands, so it hard to shoot. No, it is not for sale at this time.

One source describes the 101 as "a revolver made by Savage" and other comments indicate he was going by pictures. The 101 is a single shot pistol, not a revolver. It was produced during the first "cowboy" craze and made to look like a single-action revolver.

They are OK and a good gun for a beginner but not really made for long term use or target accuracy.

One note of warning. If you decide to take the gun apart (separate the barrel from the frame) be careful not to get the small plunger in the barrel part into one of the dummy cylinder holes. It is the very h**l to get out.

Jim

I just read an old American Rifleman (1960)artical about these pistols.It didn't add anything in the way of information about the gun that hasn't already been posted here.They liked it,and found it accurate for an inexpensive pistol.MSRP in 1960 was $19.50

We sold a lot of them in that time frame, and the only problem I knew of was the one I mentioned above. A surprising number of people thought they were revolvers, even after being shown how they worked.

Jim

Back