Savage or Remington- You Decide!

vanfunk

OK guys. I'm in a rifle buying frenzy. My next gun purchase is going to be either a Remington 700 ADL synthetic or a Savage M10, chambered for .223. This will be a target/pest/general purpose rifle, probably fitted with a solid 3-9x variable. I can't make up my mind in the least. Please help!
What's your final answer?
Thanks,
Vanfunk

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vanfunk:
OK guys. I'm in a rifle buying frenzy. My next gun purchase is going to be either a Remington 700 ADL synthetic or a Savage M10, chambered for .223. This will be a target/pest/general purpose rifle, probably fitted with a solid 3-9x variable. I can't make up my mind in the least. Please help!
What's your final answer?
Thanks,
Vanfunk
[/quote]

I'd get the Remington, its a great rifle and a very strong action, the Remington also has a better trigger. Also, I would get a .308 for a general use rifle. Much more versatile than the .223
Robb

[This message has been edited by Robb (edited May 21, 2000).]

Remington for their better adjustable triggers. :D

I too would get .308 if that was my only gun. But if you are not going for big game get the .223. Additionally, the .223 is not as loud as .308 which may be an issue where you shoot, or if shooting on farmland with the farmers permission. Cows are not crazy about loud bangs and vacant pastures edges are great for varmints. Farmers do not like the cow's legs broken in groundhog holes.

The Savage does have one advantage in .223. Most Remington .223 rifles are a 1-12 twist for varmint bullets lighter than 55 grains. This is for the sporter profiles and the heavy barreled varmint models. The .223 700PSS Police Rifle (heavy barrel) has 1-10 twist for the heavier match and tactical bullets. I believe that Savage uses a 1-10 twist for all their .223 barrels, but you should verify that.

This may be a issue for you if you want to shoot longer ranges with heavier bullets. If not, get that 700ADL.

By the way. I do not know if the 4-12 B&L Gunmart has is an Elite 3000, but if it is buy it! The Bausch and Lomb Elite 3000 series scopes are a great value with crisp, clear, and sharp optics. They are being discounted due to the new Elite 3200 series which makes the 3000 series outstanding bargains. I mainly use Leupolds and have a B&L 3-9 Elite 3000 and believe it to be a great performer and would definitely buy others. The 12X makes the varmints a bit larger. ;)

Got the money, get a Remington and a good scope. On a budget get the Savage, and still get a good scope. I was on a budget and I got a Savage 10FP in .308Win it is a good varmit gun and targeting gun. I shoot groups of .50@150yards. But thats my opinion, and you have your own my friends. :)

------------------
They told me,"throw down your guns, return to the earth...HAH! time enough for the earth in the grave". -EDA

"Giving up is not in my vocabulary". -EDA

"Do not fear the governments, that fears you". -EDA

Aarrrrggg. It's heating up! Thanks to all for your informative, helpful posts thus far. I have a .308 already, which is, as suggested, an excellent "do everything" cartridge. I want a .223 because it's a capable performer for the tasks intended, and it's easy on the shoulder and easy on the wallet. I just know that the Savage is a capable performer, but I think I'll be kicking myself if I don't get the Remington(got more votes, anyway). Thanks for the tip on the scope, too. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can buy the thing, but I need to make my decision now because of the need to connect spiritually with the firearm in advance. You know how it is. Thanks again for your help!
Vanfunk

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Vanfunk, get the Remington rifle seems you have the cash for it. And for the scope, you really do not need nothing fancy. I bought a Bushnell Banner scope 6-18x50mm with fixable objective. Guess how much I paid? Anyways the damm scope performes the same as my B&L, Redfield, and my Leupold I bought 7-months ago. Anyways good luck and shop for that rifle. Tip: Take a small flashlite to check the bore on any gun, be it at the gun shop or gun show. Later. :)

------------------
They told me,"throw down your guns, return to the earth...HAH! time enough for the earth in the grave". -EDA

"Giving up is not in my vocabulary". -EDA

"Do not fear the governments, that fears you". -EDA

Back