Savage Model 40 "Super Sporter" question

snowman748

Ok, I bought a Savage Model 40 "Super Sporter" for my dad about a year ago because he wanted an old 30-06 to shoot. Well it pretty much just sat in the gun case in the closet so he recently gave it back to me. It's a nice gun and I took it out to shoot and it shoots great, very nice and tight groups. I made sure to check my brass and no issues seemed apparent. Only issue I had at the range (besides it destroying my shoulder, seriously it kicked harder then my 300 Win Mag Mauser) was that the iron sights were off, and I mean WAY off like 2' at 50 yards off. So my question is, do you think drilling and tapping the receiver for a scope would really hurt the value of this gun? I understand the guns were made between 1928 and 1940 but it's hard to pin down exactly what year your rifle was produced via the serial number. However it's serial number 157XX so I'm sure it was close to 1940 if not in 1940. I also know these rifles don't seem to carry much value, especially with Savage collectors. I would really like to scope this rifle (a professional job, not bubba style) but would hate to ruin what little value it has. The bluing is great, all parts are original and matching (it seems) but I'm not sure about the stock. It looks like it might have been narrowed in the front and restained?

I've already bought two Weaver #11 scope mounts. Should I have a professional gunsmith install them and take it out for the occasional hunt and range trip or should I just leave it alone and hope it collects value? Note I installed the limb saver to save my shoulder but the original metal plate is underneath.

i say leave it alone, after a D&T its collector value will be cut way down. i own a savage model 1920 in 300 savage in ex condition that i have been tempted to,D&T, but just can,t bring my self do it. eastbank.

That rifle won't work very well with a scope. The stock has too much drop, it was set up for iron sights. If you scoped the rifle, you'd have to build up the comb of the stock so you could use the scope.

I recommend getting a 20 year old Savage 110. You can find them for $250, and they're already D&T'd for mounts. Used rifles will almost always have mounts on the rifle. I've picked up two of these rifles, both for under $250. One had a scope already on it.

I'd also recommend getting a use Savage 110 for putting a scope on. Leave the classic as is, they appreciate more in value that way.

Jimro

The minimal value appreciation which this rifle will attain in your lifetime would be far offset by the fun you would have scoping and shooting it. It is far less desirable to Savage collectors than the Model 1920/1926. The Model 40 and 45 have a very heavy, tubular steel receiver with minimal cutouts for ejection port and magazine. The result is a receiver that is heavier and stiffer than the Model 700 Remington which has always been praised for its accuracy. If the barrel is good, and you insure good bedding, you can have a very accurate rifle. Being a cylindrical receiver it is relatively easy to epoxy bed with Brownell's AcraGlass or some such.

That is exactly what I did with my Super Sporter and it will shoot 1" or less with loads using Sierra 180-gr Matchkings or Nosler J4s pushed by W760 or IMR 4350.

One thing you want to make sure of is that the safety functions properly. It is not a good design and if the wood degenerates around the safety band under the receiver, it will malfunction.

Your stock looks very good. Some of the Super Sporters were supplied with Schnabel tips, which yours appears to have.

Last edited:
For the record the irons are off 2 foot not 2 inches. The safety works really good and has very positive clicks in and out of safe. I'd just like to make it useful again and figured a scope would help with that. Not really worried about selling it myself but didn't want to ruin an old rifle.

With it that far off if it was in my arsenal it would be borderline useless no matter how nice it looked. 4 feet off at 100 yards would make me tap it or sell it.

- Or adjust the iron sights.

Take it to the local gunsmith with a box of your favorite ammo, the stuff that you intend to use. Tell him what's up.

Don't let anyone talk you into screwing up a collectable firearm. - Entirely too much of that goes on, as it is.

If you've gotta have a scope, sell this one and buy something more recent, less collectable.

A Savage collector might just fix you up with a different gun, without any money changing hands.

Back