Savage model 340 help

ReloadKy

"WE" have an older savage model 340 in .222 that my father in law handed down to my wife several years ago. I handload for the rifle and have never been able to get it to shoot very well. I decided to get it out to this week to check the torque on all of the action screws and scope screws. I learned that the screw behind the trigger guard has been broken. This screw apparently goes directly into the wood of the stock. The screw looks like a plain old wood screw and it has broken off short of the point of being able to get enough bite into the stock to actually do any good.

What should I do to remedy this? My first thought it to maybe get a little bigger and longer screw to attempt to get some bite. IDK if this is a good idea or not. Help needed and appreciated.

Hardware I used to go to occasionally had a 340 about 1962, caliber perhaps 218 Bee. I had no $$ then. Year or more later I did get a Savage 219 in 22 H, Good gun except 8+# trigger. Shot a couple cats w/ that gun.

Wish I had a 340 0r similar one in 22 H or 222..

love my 840 in 222. i would find a way to fix that. it out shoots the 340 in hornet by a country mile. bob

The Numrich schematic shows that screw to be a very short one, only about three threads in the working part. I wonder if you couldn't use something like a dental pick to free the broken part up enough to get a bite on it with a small needle nose pliers and twist it out that way.

I've used that method to remove a couple of broken wood screws in the past that were much longer than the one pictured.

Its a one screw stock. The rear screw just holds the trigger guard.
Had a 340 in 30-30. kicked like a mule.

David

Back