Savage model 30 pump problem

Roger Daily

Inactive
My savage model 30 pump seems to have something wrong with the slide lock mechanism. The bolt opens when firing the heavy loads required for ducks. Its not an explosive opening but more of a situation where I find the bolt half open after a shot. Needless to say its a little disconcerting....especially in the heat of battle against a flock of daffys. I have completely disassembled and inspected the gun and from what I can see it appears that someone has previously modified the trigger guard assy due to failure of the slide lock release hinge point.
I think a new trigger guard would be in order. Or perhaps a whole new assy.
Is it possible that this could be the problem? I understand that it's normal for the slide mechanism to release after the hammer is released, but recoil shouldn't be able to open the bolt. There appears to be some wear in the receiver to breech bolt area but none of the slide or slide rail area therefore the slide must be moving back and releasing the bolt during recoil.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Roger, your shotgun doesn't lock up like a rifle. It utilizes a bolt lock in the rear of the bolt that holds it in until the trigger is pulled or I should say until the hammer falls. By the time the hammer strikes the firing pin the gun is actually unlocked. So the situation with yours is not at all unusual. It is also not something that is unsafe. By the time the bolt moves after the shot everything is already out of the muzzle so I don't really think safety is a factor here. Winchester actually made sure that the bolts on their pumps begin opening on the shot and then used that fact as a selling point calling theirs the fastest pump action on the market. George

Back