Savage Model 24

macsr01

I went to a gun show a few weeks back and lucked upon a Savage Model 24 like the one I had when I was a kid, looked very rough but the gun itself was sound. Refinished the stock and forend. This one was odd, had the takedown lever on the side. Know they offered a side lever model but it wasn’t real popular. I was also unfortunate to see the model 42 that they say is the replacement for the Model 24. Wasn’t impressed in the least, ugly is the first word that comes to mind, cheap looking being the 2nd. Anyone bought one of these ?

I have 2, the OLD 22-410 and a 24V which is 223/20. Both are meat guns. For a long time, the 24Vwas my only long gun. I put a receiver sight on it. Works great for both barrels.

Enjoy

David

I have a Savage 24D, 22/410 that is dear to my heart, older model, before serial numbers were added. Wife bought it used before I moved to Alaska in '72.

First two years I built and lived in a little log cabin in Lignite (North of Healy). Got laid off i n the winters and that little gun fed my family (wife and two todlers).

I dont sell or trade guns, but if I did, this one would be the last to go.

Had a .223 over 12, briefly, years ago. The rifle barrel didn't shoot worth beans. I hope the Savage collectors don't come for me after saying that. snicker.
Everything you ever wanted to know about 'em is here. All the links work too.
http://www.savage24.com/

list

I keep my eye peeled for one as a ATV pest gun, but cannot find one in any kind of shape.......and the occasional one that is in fair shape is always price way too high. Most of those old guns got used/abused hard and have not survived.

They were common when I was a kid, lots of fellas I knew had one, that or a Savage 311 in 20ga.

Back