Savage Model 219 30-30

pipoman

My step dad wanted me to research his Savage Model 219 in 30-30. He also has a M220 12gauge barrel for the gun. The rifle has a Marbles front site, finish is 95%. The barrel says "proof tested". rifling is good bore is shiney. I found one in completed auctions on gunbroker.

Is there collector interest or are they purchased by users/for kids rifles?

The trigger is inoperable for some reason and the breech opens a little hard. He is wondering if it is worth the cost of repair?

Would the proof marks or any other feature of the gun be helpful in determining the year of manufacture?

Thanks

Forum redirect

pipoman, I think you might get more results with this posted in the forum, Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research.

The thread will still show up on Art of the Rifle forum, with a redirect.

Best,
Johnny

Only info I can find on the 219 is that it is a late 1930's to mid 1960's rifle, worth a little more than a $100 in good condition. To someone who reloads for the 30-30, the 26" barrel has potential as a companion rifle for their lever. Light weight spitzers out of a 26" single shot can give a person good reason to play with the 30-30 between deer seasons.

Hello Pipoman
I myself have a Savage model 219-B Rifle and My grandfather's model 220 Shotgun. Savage came out with the model 220 Shotgun in 1937. It was available in 12 & 16 Gauge with a Plain Barrel measuring from 30"-36" in Mod, and Full Chokes. The model 219 Rifle came out in 1938. It was considered a Utility rifle that could be used along with the shot gun by simply changing barrels and Forends. They were made in Utica, New York to Start and later in Chicopee Falls. Unfortunatly a Fire in the factory Back then took most of the records. You can figure out what year and Month yours was made by Looking at the left side of the receiver behind the serial number. You will see a small circle with a Date code and a Letter. This will tell what year it was made and the month. They were very accurate and came in a variety of calibers mostly being older ones like the 25-20 32-20 and such. The two most sought after calibers were the 30-30 and .22 Hornet. Mine is a 30-30 as shown beside my garandfathers model 220 shotgun which came with the grouse in flight scene on the reciever, checkering, Beavertail forend, and Montecarlo style cheek piece stock. I hope this helps, Hammer It.

DSCF6061.jpg

handy rifle

H&R made a simular gun.I had one in 20ga/30/30.Rossi makes copy?of H&R.
I shot standard 30/30 in mine but emptys come out like rockets.a good load would be 311291 with 2400 or unique or some load of imr 4198= 21gr or3031 with 25 grdont try to magmanize it.:confused::):)

Back