Savage Model 170

engineermike

A friend of mine bought a rifle for his new son. (Month old) It's a 30 30 pump action Savage Model 170 series B. My first question, were pump action 30 30's very popular and my second question, how old could this rifle be.

They were made from 1970 through 1981.

.35 Rem pumps, and other rimless CF's like .243, .308, .30-06, .270, etc were much more popular - the reasone why the Remington & Browning pump rifles are still being made and the Savage (made on an altered pump shotgun action) isn't.

The Savage 170's (also chambered in .35 Rem) were adequate rifles - just not overly popular, since most desirious of a .30-30 bought leverguns.

Last edited:
They were never very popular in my neck of the woods. However, I have always wanted a 170 and have just never bought one. They made the gun in .35 and .30-30 and I would like to have either.

I am not sure how well his one month old son will be able to shoot this rifle as the pump action requires slightly longer arms.

Browning pump rifles

The Browing pumps rifles are no longer being made.

[The Browing pumps rifles are no longer being made.]

It shows to go ya - ANOTHER one bites the dust !

Pump CF rifles may be popular with their owners, but not with the general shooting public. - as opposed to pump shotguns which seem to have had a huge following.

I didn't think about the arms being too short. I did mention to him that the little guy could not even set on a bar stool yet much less pick up a gun...

I've seen a few in the woods in the early 1970's, right after they first came out, as a kid in the in PA where pump rifles were and still are, popular. In fact, one of my buddies had one. They allegedly made .35's, (never seen one) and some carbines (never seen one of those either).

Oddly, in the last two years or so here in 'Bama, I've seen 3, all rifles, all 30-30, and all beat to death. A carbine would be neat.

Back