Savage model 12 ?

rebs

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this rifle in 22-250 caliber ? What are the pros and cons ?

I have had one for about twelve years or so. It is one of the finest "keyholing" 22-250 target rifles ever made. It will keyhole at 25yds, as well as 100yds. The guys at the club LOVE to shoot it(No one has ever seen a smooth bore 22-250). Yes, I bought it new. Yes, when I found out my 12 gauge 870 with #8 shot, shot tighter groups, I had the gun store where I purchased it call savage about sending it back to them to have the barrel replaced or replace the rifle(Brand New Rifle). Savage refused, said if I had shot reloads in it, that it was my fault. :confused: Haven't purchased a Savage since(Have bought a couple Rugers, they stand behind their products) However, I have read about people in other areas that have purchased new Savage model 12s and love them:o. Maybe, the one I have was an experimental or "Special" model that was not supposed to be sold? I do not know. It is fun to watch peoples faces when I show them my Savage Target Keyhole model. I may have the only one:)

That is horse hockey. I would drive to the Savage plant and 'give' them their rifle back if that's the way they treated me. I wouldn't have admitted using hand loads either. In any case you really can't erase rifling from a barrel with handloads. I have heard several stories lately of Savage's CS being lame.

I agree that Savage makes a good product, I have just heard a few first hand accounts of their CS telling people to pound sand where other companies wouldn't. It wouldn't stop me from buying with confidence but I would definitely be checking over every rifle I bought with a fine tooth comb.

My Savage Model 12 --- with an AccuTrigger in 223 is an accurate rifle --- only mine is a single shot, that tends to make the action more rigid. The barrel is easy to replace, because it is attached to the receiver with a barrel nut.

Hootey, Sorry you got a bad rifle from Savage,but if you told them you shot reloaded ammo out of it,that's your fault.
Almost every factory rifle owners manual clearly states their warranty is void if you use reloaded ammo in their rifles.

I have a whole safe full of factory and custom built Savage rifles in a bunch of calibers. The only one that ever gave me any trouble was a 110 FLP heavy barreled 25/06.The bore looked like a wash board,and copper fouled beyond belief. I chose to deal with it myself,instead of sending it back to Savage since I had them assemble the rifle a couple years after that particular model had been discontinued,and figured any other barrels they had would look about the same.
I hand lapped,and ended up fire lapping the barrel before it turned into a shooter. Now,it's one of my favorite hunting rifles.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Savage heavy barreled rifle.

I have one in 22-250 that has nearly 2000 rds thru it still shoots great. I had factory Winnchester loads that were to hot and broke extractor and ejector in it told Savage plus reloads have and still are being shot thru it even told Ssvage they said no problem send them the gun. I did they fixed it no problem under warranty. Great company I also have had same results with Remington
Roc1

Savage model 12BVSS

I have one in 22-250. Bought it used maybe in 2006. Has an accu-trigger, stainless fluted heavy barrel. The factory stock was el crappo. However, it has always shot really accurate. Eats 40 gr. Blitzkings and 50 gr. Vmaxes and likes'em both. It has many rounds thru the tube, but still shoots 1/2 inch groups. That is a bit larger than it used to---3/8" groups of 3 were the norm for several years.

I would buy another Savage, based on my experience with this one.

Edit: I was looking at that model 12 today, and I was wrong. There is no designation of model other than "Model 12" Don't know where I got the idea it was a 12BVSS.

Last edited:
My range buddy recently bought a Savage model 12 LRP in .22-250.
My buddy has measured all the groups he has shot with the .22-250 to date and I keep all of our accuracy records in a giant spreadsheet. His new .22-250 is a really good shooter.

My son and I have a total of 4 Savages and my buddy has 3 more.
In addition, other range buddies have bought 2 more Savages because ours all shot so well out of the box. All 9 are good shooters and I recently had Savage rebarrel my original .308 after 6300 rounds and it came back more accurate than it was with the original barrel.

With hand load ammo the .22-250 Model 12 LRP has averaged 0.409 for 54 measured groups with a best load average of 0.232. It is still new and just really broken in.
If you get the Model 12 LRP, I think you should be happy with it.

Savage Freak

Rebs I would purchase, with confidence any new Savage rifle. Hootey' bad luck is prbably a twist (or lack thereof) of bad luck. If and when I purchas new rifles I always lokker her over thoroughly before leaving gunshop.
And if you do this you probably wont have any problemss dude.

I have had one for about twelve years or so. It is one of the finest "keyholing" 22-250 target rifles ever made. It will keyhole at 25yds, as well as 100yds. The guys at the club LOVE to shoot it(No one has ever seen a smooth bore 22-250). Yes, I bought it new. Yes, when I found out my 12 gauge 870 with #8 shot, shot tighter groups, I had the gun store where I purchased it call savage about sending it back to them to have the barrel replaced or replace the rifle(Brand New Rifle). Savage refused, said if I had shot reloads in it, that it was my fault. Haven't purchased a Savage since(Have bought a couple Rugers, they stand behind their products) However, I have read about people in other areas that have purchased new Savage model 12s and love them. Maybe, the one I have was an experimental or "Special" model that was not supposed to be sold? I do not know. It is fun to watch peoples faces when I show them my Savage Target Keyhole model. I may have the only one

Time to raise the BS flag. None of the story makes sense. I own a few Savages, never had one issue with CS. My neighbor owns 5 Savages, his Palma was replaced in full and he told them he shot handloaded ammo from it.

The guys at the club LOVE to shoot it(No one has ever seen a smooth bore 22-250).
I'm going to raise the BS flag too, particularly over this sentence. I wonder if the guy was shooting cast bullet through it? I've been playing with cast bullets for a lot of years, and I know that when I try to drive a bullet too fast, or the alloy isn't right, or the sizing is wrong, or the pressure doesn't match the allow, the bullet will strip in the grooves and after a few shots the grooves are full of lead, the bore looks almost smooth, and accuracy sails out the window. Then it's time to get out the Chore Boy and start getting the lead out.

I have to call BS on it also. I have 9 Savages ( wont buy anything else ) All 9 shoot sub MOA right out of the box.

2 of them are Model 12 FVSS. The 308 I use in FTR class- Very very accurate rifle.
Smoothbore 22-250 ?? Hmmm. I believe all Savages ( as other company's also)
Test fire there rifles before selling them.

My model 12 bvss in 22/250 is exceptionally accurate. My shooting buddy liked it so much he bought one of his own. I like mine so much I will buy the same gun in .223 and then after the barrel is shot out turn it into a 222 which is what I really want.

The stock is very nice to shoot off the bench if you have the right setup. I strongly recommend getting one.

I just shot mine the other day at 200 yards and was getting around 1" groups. It's one of the best shooting rifles I own. As far as the poster who says his gun keyholes, I'd bet he's shooting bullets that are too heavy for the 1:12 rifling to stabilize. Keep you bullet weights at 55 and under and you'll be very happy with that gun.

I have 112 22-250....wish it had a nicer stock but I wouldn't trade for anything. I put a new trigger in it because the stock trigger was before the accu trigger and wasn't good.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. No, I have not fired any lead boolits in it. I have fired 40, 50, 52, 55, and 69gr bullets in it. All of them will keyhole. After the run-in with Savage, I had a "Master" machinist look it. He took one look down the bore and told me in "in lay-mans terms, the took one, maybe two pass' with the rifling cutters and stopped for some reason" He told me he had seen similar things happen at shift change or there was a problem with the CNC Machine.
Over the years I have had one new Colt and one new Ruger that sent back for warranty problems. Both times, I received apology letters and free ball caps, patches, and stuff for my troubles.
Some one asked for comments from people that had Savage model 12 22-250s. I have one and sent my comments about the rifle and my experience with their fine folks at Customer Service. Just answering the man's question.:D

Love Savage!

I shoot a Savage 12fv 22-250 with a 26" bull barrel, and it's one of the best rifles I have. Shoots a 1/2" group at two hundred yards out of the box with Hornady 50 grain Varmint Express. I'm fixing to start reloading and I can't wait to see how it does with hand-loads!

kingranch1882: I shoot a Savage 12fv 22-250 with a 26" bull barrel, and it's one of the best rifles I have. Shoots a 1/2" group at two hundred yards out of the box with Hornady 50 grain Varmint Express. I'm fixing to start reloading and I can't wait to see how it does with hand-loads!

:) Congradulations! Happy to see someone has a nice one that does what it is supposed to do!:D:D:D

Back