Savage Model 111 New Wood Stock

ninosdemente

The Savage 111 bolt action is chambered in 30-06 and has detachable magazine. Want to replace what I currently have to a wood stock. I have searched online and came across Boyds. Although they have nice choices, would like to see if there are other nice ones on the market. Where did you guys get yours? I have not bought a wood stock so I do not know if there are additional adjustments needed to fit or if there stocks where they drop in with not adjustments. I saw some nice ones but they seem to come with rifle and not able to be purchased separate.

Not yet set on a particular style of stock. Main use is for hunting. Thanks guys in advanced.

I've bought lots of them--but generally you'll need to do finishing of the inletting to get a good fit, and although not a requirement, I usually pillar and bed them as well to get the best fit of the action I can get which generally results in better consistency. Generally your going to gain weight over a synthetic stock.

Stuck on Boyds.

The Savage 111 bolt action is chambered in 30-06 and has detachable magazine. Want to replace what I currently have to a wood stock
Not going to be much help as I also made this upgrade but went to Boyd's and worked out, perfect. If you do decide to go with Boyd's, make sure you get the associated hardware. I know that Boyds makes/made the wooden stocks for the Savages. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Not going to be much help as I also made this upgrade but went to Boyd's and worked out, perfect. If you do decide to go with Boyd's, make sure you get the associated hardware. I know that Boyds makes/made the wooden stocks for the Savages. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!
Same here, but mine was a Model 11. Just get the hardware for the trigger guard and magazine well. I had a gunsmith do it and charged little to nothing. It fit perfectly.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Savage 111 (3).jpg
    Savage 111 (3).jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 973
Thanks for the replies. This would be my first time buying from Boyds. Don't mind getting my hands dirty, just never done any glass bedding. The pillars, is that hardware I would have to order with the stock or is that is something I would have to purchase separate and I install it?I have bought aluminum chasis from Oryx and needed nothing other than drop and screw bolts.

Stagpanther, you mentioned "but generally you'll need to do finishing of the inletting to get a good fit, ...". Is this the same as glass bedding or is that a different process?

USAF Ret, what model do you have on the picture? I am interested in the prairie hunter and the classic. But don't know the difference between the heritage and the prairie hunter.

Stagpanther, you mentioned "but generally you'll need to do finishing of the inletting to get a good fit, ...". Is this the same as glass bedding or is that a different process?
Depends how rough the inlet cutting is--and frankly I've had some really bad ones that required additional grinding to make room for things like the bolt release, magazine catch, pillars etc. Also expect some work to freefloat anything fatter than a lightweight sporter barrel most of the time. All that said, it's fairly easy to do--think of it as like "most of it done but you'll need to do the finishing touches" to get the final fit for your action. Pillar and bedding is a separate issue altogether--those are mods to get the most precise fit of the action to the stock so you can to minimize movement--which in turn can affect consistency. If you're a minute of paper plate deer hunter--probably won't matter--if you have OCD target tiny group disorder;); then you will definitely want to pillar and bed your action for the best fit of your action to the stock you can get.

Glad to be of help.:) Watch some of the videos on how to pillar and bed--that's a fairly time-consuming process which you want to make sure you get right on the first try if you can.

Have used Boyds several years on Remington 700, Savage 116, and Ruger American Predator. Have never had to do any fitment. I have only used the laminated stocks and highly recommend them. Cool color combos.

You have been exceptionally lucky--or I have been exceptionally unlucky; they make fine products for the price but I've never had one that did not need some grinding and sanding--and I pillared and bedded all of them. Boyd's itself indicates that their stocks may need finishing to get a good fit. To be fair--pretty much all wood stocks made by anyone do.

A bit late to the conversation but these are my thoughts.

Wood stocks for the Savage; Boyd's and Richards Micro-Fit. Both will need some fitting but the Richards will need a lot of finishing as in sanding and staining. I have had to epoxy bed both.

Lastly for the Savage I have learned the hard way to not to try and pillar the rear action screw. Reason being is that there is already marginal material in the stock around the rear screw.

On one of the Boyds stocks for a model 11 with a DBM I had a severe delamination between the screw hole, the mag well and the trigger well and that was with a laminated wood stock. Boyds did replace it.

Lastly for the Savage I have learned the hard way to not to try and pillar the rear action screw. Reason being is that there is already marginal material in the stock around the rear screw.
That's really the most important one IMO. It's true that they have little material to support, but the rear pillar bares stress from recoil and torquing the screw. I use a strong steel pillar and machine it to clear the trigger and cement it in at the same time I do the Devcon bedding. Without a strong pillar I've found that the weak wood inlet alone will eventually compress and fail to hold the action immobile.

stagpanther I have no quarrel with your sentiments. Just stating what I have personally found with a couple different wood stocks. The Richards completely broke after being dropped and the Boyds had the delamination after being fired.

Then there is also an old timer wood stock maker on another forum that helped me tremendously with the Richards Walnut stock that warned me against adding pillars to that stock, which I didn't listen and it cost me an expensive piece of wood and a lot of time and effort. He doesn't add pillars to anything less than a Belted Magnum or the old Mauser actions.

On my Boyds AT ONE I have a front pillar and full length epoxy bedding. the rear screw is only torqued to 20 in.lbs. and is holding superbly.

All that matters, in the end, is that it works for you. ;) I've found that savages will tend to pivot a bit based on the dimunitive size of the front recoil lug--and thus getting the round receiver to "stay put" is a challenging task. I understand the light torque on the rear screw--there is so little wood there that it will compress and crack easily, which is why I choose to go the other way and reinforce it as much as possible. You can get an idea by looking at a savage OEM accustock on ways to install a rear pillar.

Wish I still had the pictures on this computer but the Richards stock that I had pillared when it accidentally got dropped the stock completely fractured and a large piece of wood chipped out between the pillar and the trigger well. The stock actually also fractured to the bolt side, down the bolt cutout to the magwell and the installed pillar was actually also delaminated.

This is just my opinion but to me there is not enough structural material in a Savage stock to safely add a pillar w/o weakening the stock.

The Accu-stocks and Axis stocks the pillar I believe is also molded in during the manufacturing process.

Wish I still had the pictures on this computer but the Richards stock that I had pillared when it accidentally got dropped the stock completely fractured and a large piece of wood chipped out between the pillar and the trigger well. The stock actually also fractured to the bolt side, down the bolt cutout to the magwell and the installed pillar was actually also delaminated.

This is just my opinion but to me there is not enough structural material in a Savage stock to safely add a pillar w/o weakening the stock.

The Accu-stocks and Axis stocks the pillar I believe is also molded in during the manufacturing process.
I can't speak for the richards stock when it comes to the dynamic forces it is subjected to when being dropped. Could be there were large sideways torque forces that would have split the stock no matter whether it was pillared or not. I don't know--though I've had my share of when rifles fell over sideways when propped on the butt and a few times falling from the rests onto the floor when cleaning. My biggest magnum cartridges are in synthetic stocks or rigid chassis--but I do have quite a few wood stocks in cartridges up to 30-06 family and haven't had any issues with pillar and bedding the rear screw. I usually end up having to bed both the receiver inlet as well as the bottom metal inlet.

attachment.php

338-06 build I did using a pretty heavy shaw barrel and an axis action using a Boyd's sporter style stock originally used for savage's axis 2. I still pillared and bedded it as I replaced the plastic bottom metal components with real metal ones, and decided to sand off the walnut stain and go with the natural yellow maple base. I've begged Boyds to make one for me to order but they won't do it.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_7869.jpg
    IMG_7869.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 867
Last edited:
ninosdemente, to get back on topic. If serious about looking to replace stocks for a wood one I would start watching Boyds Rapid Fire section for what you need/want. Can find some nice bargains in there if patient. I have a Boyds Spike Camp on a Model 10 Blind mag that I picked up from there for about $100.00.. I had to open it up a small amount around the barrel nut but otherwise it dropped right in. I did not add pillars but I did later epoxy bed it and it shoots wonderfully.

If you feel the real need for action pillars Boyds will install them for you on a new stock at an extra cost.

stagpanther I really like that black accent strip on that stock. Did you add that?

stagpanther I really like that black accent strip on that stock. Did you add that?
Yes--now that I don't hunt as much crawling around in the woods I've graduated from ghillie-suit cammo of my rifles (and almost losing them) to stock-car racing stripes and low-rider stickers.:D:D

I have 3 Boyds stocks (laminated) and they all were perfect fits sans a bit of relief in the rear tang.

If my loads are on and I am on, I can shoot 1/2 inch groups with them.

Back