savage model 110

slab jockey

i'm looking into purchasing a savage model 110. essentially i wanted a
.308 bolt action with sights (and i suffer from that dreaded left-
handed thing) they have a model which does not have a detachable
magazine. how does this load and do you have to work the bolt to
eject each round? thanks

Very effective round on pretty much any North American medium to big game. Yes, you work the bolt to chamber and eject your rounds. These are not bad rifles for the money.

Slab Jockey

If you have not read up on the Savage Arms rifles, please do so before buying. It's easy to search on the firing line.

I happen to be the happy owner of a new Savage 10FP, which is the Police Tactical Rifle., in .308. I could not be happier with this rifle for the money spent.

Savage Arms rifles are notorious for their accuracy out of the box. I suggest getting the round of your choice and trying it out.

My only complaint would be the composite stock on mine. They are flimsy, but can be replaced with any Savage wood stock made for the action you decide on. Other stock makers are coming on-line with their versions soon.

Personally I am awaiting one of the major stock manufacturers making one for the tactical rifles.

Good luck

Humm, Well.....here goes, I believe in Savage Arms and I feel they put out a BETTER rifle than some for the price. A rifle that can offer .50 MOA out of the box is not shabby...The trigger is easy to tune and there are a few stocks out thier for less than $300...as other rifles need.
I also have a Savage for sale in .300 Win Mag if anyone is interested...See the for sale forum below for details.

76446_Sav110FPs.jpg

700 owners scoff at the Savage and say it is inferior, to me that is elitism....one must has the better gun as a cheap gun can't do what mine can......yet can their's do what the others can...Stryr, HS, AWC and a few of the others..

Humm, .50 MOA out of the box mean darn near all were touching :eek: Geez, I forget...has that a heart shoot or a head shoot on the dummy.

Just me.

Karsten

Last edited:
I think the glockster is right.
My Sav 110 is a 30-06 and is a long action.
The Sav 10 in .308 is a short action.

I have a Savage 110 in 30-06 and I just ordered one in 243. Not as pretty as some of the others.
I have read some articles that praise the accuracy of this gun. Much gun for the money

As far as the 10 FP and 110FP both the .308 above (right) and the .300 Win Mag (left) are 110FP or long actions. The reason you all have 10FP's in .308 and below is cause I am special :rolleyes:

No, honestly Savage up until the 80's only made a long bolt action so everything was pretty much a 110 something or other. Competition forced the need for a long and short action so there you have it...Everything up to .308 is short and above is long.
A little note also is that the .308 110FP can be coverted to a DT Mag and use an M14 USGI mag or so I was told by a gunsmith here in SLC.

Darn good rifles for the money and alot will say different but I don't need a weapon capable of removing a pimple of the butt of a target at 500 plus yards....I just want to hit the target, then again and again.

Just MHO.

Karsten

hey scoops, i guess what i wanted to know was when unloading the four (or three) unfired rounds must you eject them all indivdually via the bolt or is there some type of
detente which can be released to remove the unchambered rounds from the
internal box magazine

Yep, gotta use the bolt to unload em one at a time. Sometimes I use my thumb to push em out, but it's no faster.

I highly recommend Savage. I've got the .308 Stainless steel fluted barrel on mine. It's called the 10VSS...something....I forget - too many letters. I agree with the other poster about the less-than-desirable synthetic stocks. You can buy an Ultimate Sniper stock from Choate for around $140.

See the attachment below. The group pictured is one of my first, with factory hunting ammo - soft-point with a big bubble gum glob of lead on the point - not much for accuracy, but not too bad either...Anyway - GO FOR IT!

Attachments

• copy of savageshotgroup.jpg
    copy of savageshotgroup.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 255
Pocat...I am gonna warn you......the ice is thin and getting thinner. Should you post such popias pic's on another forum you would get eaten live by them ......can I say it...you know the eliite, 700 guys...
You can't post such blastfamy as .50 inch groups out of a $400 rifle.....Edit your post ASAP before the droves converge you you....

psst.....we don't have to tell them you fixed your post. Nor do we have to tell then that the New Remy's will be shipped with Political Correct Steel furnished by guess who :eek: S&W, I wonder when the Ruger guys will jump on that band wagon....Awww, there is a warm place for a Savage.

Great pic's

Karsten

Karsten: Hey, not every 700 owner is a condescending, "elitist" target shooter. You know, some of us here hunt, and you simply need to be able to put a bullet in a six-inch circle. The 700 is a great gun for this purpose. Of course, so is the Savage. I have a 700 in .308, but my next rifle will likely be a Savage .30-06.
Don't lump all "700 owners" together. There are a lot of us out here.

Guyon,
No disrespect intended to those who just shoot for the enjoyment of it. On another board should one mention Savage you could get crusified with the same gun. Alot feel the entry level target rifle is a 700 and NOTHING LESS will do. Alot also feel one needs a $800 plus Leupold or better.

Myself, I just enjoy shooting and if I can get a 1 MOA group I would be happy.

Karsten

Hey Karsten,

Not a problem. I just wanted to let you know that some 700 owners actually like and respect Savage guns. They are accurate out of the box and nice looking rifles.

I know where you're coming from as far as elitism. It's really a shame that 700 target enthusiasts turn up their noses at other shooters. The same thing happens on the clays ranges where you might getted snubbed or laughed at if you don't have an expensive over/under made by Browning. Some fly fishermen even ridicule those of us who like to pop a cricket on a hook and fish for bream. The fact is that shooters, hunters, outdoorsmen in general need to stick together if we're going to combat all the antis out there. United we stand, divided... you know the rest. Interest groups like MMM, HCI, PETA, etc. love to see us fight among ourselves.

There was a thread about elitism on The Hunt a while back. Take a look if you'd like:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=73022&highlight=elitism

As for me, I'd just as soon shoot with a Savage as a Remington. I don't mind shooting clays with a field shotgun. And there's nothing better than catching trout with nightcrawlers and a hook.

Karsten and all,

Do not sink to the level of some people out there and do not fear them, no disrespect. You do not have to buy a Remi 700 to be popular, it is not the gun, it is the shooter. You could have a $1000 rifle set-up, but if the rifleman is a awful shot and does not hit what he shoots-at, the $1000 rifle is worthless. Gun people, collectors, and beginning gunners, believe you need to buy a brand name firearm to belong to a group, you do not. Is like if I buy a Ruger P-97 .45ACP instead of a HK USP or Glock or 1911 .45ACP, I get flame over that, screw those people. If you feel confident of what you have, and the gun shoots well in your hands, do not worry of the others. Cool :) Just thought I let you know how I feel.

I think for the most part this board is easy going as far as what is good, great and the best. I have rarely seen the lesser priced weapon drug through the mud here.
I own Savage's, I have Winchesters, I have a Standard Grade M1A, I have 3 Bushamster and a Stoner.....For example then, why is it I recomend BM when asked about AR's and not the Stoner. After all the Stoner is twice as expencsive so it has the be better right......Wrong, the Stoner is a novelity, something differrent....BM is as good if not better and better yet cheaper.

Personaly, I don't need a $1000-$2000 dollar LR rifle....I am a Realtor, I don't shoot competition and at 200, 300, 400 yards and beyong if I can hold MOA groups I would be very happy :)

I just enjoy shooting and the comraderie that normally comes with it as well as help when I can and save others from making some of the same mistakes I have in the past.

Karsten

My Savage is a 10FP in .308 with a Tasco World Class (3-9x50) scope on it and a Harris bipod. I spent about $550-600 total on the rig. It will produce three touching holes at 100 yards with factory match ammo.

Call me crazy, but I just don't see the need to do more.

Bob,

I have a 16FSS in .223 Rem with a Simmons 4.5-14x ATV scope which is awesome, and a 112BV (started out as a 112FV, and I put a Savage factory laminated stock on it to make it a BV), with a Tasco 6-24X Mag IV scope on it. I have a Harris bipod which I put on whichever one I'm using to hunt woodchucks.

I agree with you. The way these guns shoot, why would I need anything else?

-10CFR

Back