Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter Lost Zero

Jim567

I have really liked this rifle. I did have Savage replace the internal magazine that would not feed. I installed the new one.
Must have fired 200 or more rounds of American Eagle .223 through it after I replaced the mag.
The last time I took it out it shot a 1/2" hundred yard group , cold barrel.
I took it out this morning after two months and installing Butler Creek lense protectors and a adjustable cheek rest.
6" group.
What!!
Blamed the scope, but it was tight.
I always keep an Allen wrench just in case, good thing.
The rear action screw maybe took a quarter turn.
Back to just over an inch group with by this time,a very warm barrel.
It has a plastic trigger guard.
I have a steel unit on order. Hope it prevents that from happening again.
The quarter turn was gotten under some pressure. Wouldn't have thought it enough to take a 1/2 group to a 6" and back again

Last edited:
I have a theory...

You installed a cheek rest and flip up covers. Odds are you weren't holding your head in the same position each time and accuracy suffered. Then once you tightened everything up, you probably were intentionally very consistent in your head placement.

Jimro

lol

It was too hot and muggy :)

I really wasn't enjoying it. About a month to a bit cooler weather.

I am going to step back and say it had opened up to a 4-5" group.

I could see that happening maybe an inch or two off, but not 6.
That was shocking to me.

Your dispersion is never more than 2" from center of group horizontal, and just over 2" of the group vertical. So it really is just an inch or two.

I'm assuming you cleaned your rifle after the last range session, but disregard this if you didn't. Your first shot was a "CCB" or "clean cold bore" shot, and those are often out of the normal group. If one of your shots was a CCB and the major outlier of the group it does explain your symptoms.

It isn't uncommon for a rifle to shoot tighter with a fouled bore, but I'm glad your rifle is back to shooting the way it should.

Jimro

I always clean before I leave the range.
Gives me more BS time lol!
This rifle really does not throw the first shot through a clean bore
My .223 Savage Axis does not either.

If your CCB is in group, count yourself lucky. The dispersion in your bad group is not mathematically explainable by a 1/4 tightening turn on a screw already under tension. That and it's diagonal bottom left to top right, which looks more like a head placement issue inside the parallax zone of the optic than anything else.

The only other plausible explanation is inconsistent bullets in the lot you were shooting and they all just ended up in a similar line through random chaos in the data.

Jimro

Surly not a scientific study. I just reported what happened lol!

Its bulk ammo but its pretty consistent and I shoot it a lot to where
1 would be shocked lol - to get rounds that out. But ya never know!

At this point all I know is its back to shooting well :)

There is a half-inch (0.5") group in every bulk ammo can. Usually just the one. Never measure anything by it. There is nothing wrong with your rifle.

It's like the Pilkington theory: Given time, even monkeys will type Shakespeare. At some point in time.

-SS-

Back