Savage Model 10: Input required

C88 GhosT

Inactive
So I have decided to start get a savage 10 precision carbine. The rifle comes with accustock&trigger 20" threaded barrel as you may already know.

My long term goal and use for this rifle, is a hog gun, potential whitetail rifle, and occasional target rifle although not so often due to ammo costs. Additionally the rifle will fill a niche of a semi tactical rifle/build as I go rifle.

So the input i am needing is mostly regarding the stock. Eventually I would like to take advantage of the threaded barrel and put a can on it. I made up my mind whatever i go with im going to use a quick detach method when I get to that point. What troubles me is im not sure about the accustock for two reasons. Reason #1 I am not fond of the camo that comes stock on the rifle and have heard it tends to wear and does not clean up well. #2 when I do get around to putting the can on it, will the weight of the can affect my accuracy? Will it cause the barrel to contact the stock/ change my point of aim?

If so i could always replace the stock. What would you recommend in that regard? Also as far as bedding goes would it be wise for me to have it glass bedded? I dont know a whole lot about toying with rifles, my extent thus far has been a couple ar's and my ol barebones .270

Any insight or help would be appreciated and would make my research and decision making go smoother. Feel free to input on anything else I failed to cover that would be note worthy.

Appreciate it guys.

The suppressor will not likely cause a POI shift, if you get a quality one...
It sometimes does happen, but it will be consistent so it's simple enough to compensate for when the can is on/off...

You can't bed the AccuStock- it has an integral aluminum bedding block. Might be possible to skim bed it, but I'd shoot if first to see if it's an issue.

Given your use as primarily a hunting rifle, I'd just leave it in the AccuStock and shoot it... accuracy for your intended usage should be fine- you're not using it as a long range target rifle, and I'm sure it'll shoot sub-minute out of the box.

If for some reason you don't like how the stock fits you or handles, you can always pursue options. Savage has many aftermarket stock and chassis options, second only to the Rem 700.

Let us know how you like it- looks like a nice new tactical offering from Savage, the 10 FCP has always been a tack driver and this should be no different.

I assume you're talking about the .308?

Yes The 10 PC i got is chambered in .308.

I think for now I will stick with the accustock, I did some more research on it, and from what I gather its about as good as it gets as far as out of the box is concerned, it should work for me.

So i have the rifle coming my way sometime next week, the glass is heading this way too with rings and a one piece mount, im excited to shoot it. Wish i had the cash to blow on a can right now but that will have to wait.

Ill put some pics up when i get everything. Thanks

I'd skim bed it and paint the stock if your really worried about it not cleaning up. The other option is to have it hydro dipped into something different. From what I understand rifles with "can" usually shoot better as it dampens some of the barrel harmonics as well with the extra weight out on the end of the barrel. Althought I'm sure less felt recoil and less report have something to do with it as well.

I have a PC, only mine was before they started threading the barrel. No big deal for me though, I doubt I will ever need a can on the end of it. Whatever I'm shooting at will be dead long before it hears the report of the rifle.

Excellent little gun and handles great. Mine is about as accurate as I could ask for shooting .5 to .75" or so depending on my steadiness for the day. Never had to shoot anything twice with it either.

The stock leaves a bit to be desired but is serviceable. I think when I get the chance I will be replacing it with a B&C rig though.

I have a Savage 10 .308, but I'm more focused on long range with it. But I may use it on hogs come January.

I am really biased towards pistol grips because my first rifle was a M-16. Here's what mine looks like now with an XLR Chassis and Swarovski Z6 5-30x50

I did consider a can but decided against it because it will change your point of impact. Not to mention the lenght and weight that it adds. The XLR chassis was built for this rifle so it was a drop in.

I'd ust started getting it setup, thenI got a foot infection from a puncture and now everything has come to a halt because I can't walk much.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Savage XLR redux 01.jpg
    Savage XLR redux 01.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2,146
Last edited:
Back