Savage Mod 219 b 30-30

Lakota

Hi y'all I haven't posted on here in a while but I have picked up a Savage Mod 219b in cal. 30-30. From what I have found out so far is most say it is a good shooter. What I also found out is that they also made a 22 Hornet barrel for it.
If anyone has one or knows someone that has one and would like to sell it PM me.

Savage made Model 219/220 barrels chambered in .22H, .25-20WCF, .32-20WCF, & .30-30 - in addition to 12ga, 16ga, 20ga, 28ga & .410 shotgun barrels.

If you google "savage 219 barrel for sale", you should find a bbl in .22H - but BEWARE !

All barrels are NOT interchangeable !

Since you have a 219B, early Model 219 (no suffix) & early Model 220 barrels will not work in your rifle/action.

The reason is, the early 219/220 actions were cocked via the opening action of the top lever (which incidentally releases the bbl lock so it could swing up/open) - but all later actions (219B, 219C, 219L, 220L, 220P, 220AC, etc) are cocked by a cocking stud in the barrel lug lifting a cocking arm inside the action's receiver sidewall (remove your barrel to observe both stud & arm), when the barrels are pivoted open.

Ergo, your rifle will only work with a barrel that has the cocking plunger/stud in the side of it's underlug - since the early barrels will not cock your rifle's action.

IF an early barrel is had, it will usually fit the action, but will only be good for the 1st shot - after which the barrel will need to be removed so the action can be manually cocked (w/a screwdriver/lever) - a non-starter. (BT, DT - NTS)

Last edited:
Thanks PetahW
I didn't know any of that. Thanks for the advice. Like I said when I saw the rifle it was something I didn't have or know anything about, so for $125.00 and as good a shape as it was in I figured what the heck it was cool so I got it. When I found out that they made it in 22 Hornet also I figured if I could get a Hornet barrel for it that would be great. I don't own a 22 Hornet but I have always heard it was a good round.

Thanks again
Lakota

refinished my Savage 219 b

I refinished my $125.00 find 219b Savage 30-30. and added a scope.
IMG_0865_zpsf319708b.jpg
IMG_0866_zps9f86cb4d.jpg

IMG_0871_zps4e4b477d.jpg
IMG_0872_zpse963d627.jpg
IMG_0864_zps1cdad05b.jpg

The 219 is an elegant featherweight rifle that balances quite well, too. I had my chamber reamed to PO Ackley Improved. Not only can I nearly replicate 300 Savage ballistics, case life is longer as well.

30-30 is a keeper!

Jack

I've found that scoped .30-30 M219's, with the scope mounted in the rimfire-type barrel grooves over the chamber, will usually lose zero due to scope movement (forward) under recoil.

If/when scope movement becomes an issue, I found the best way to stop it is to install a recoil stop, abutting the FWD edge of one of the scope ring bottom's - aka: a short caphead screw installed (D/T) between the grooves, at the appropriate spot.

Thanks again Petah
I will try that if movement becomes a problem, and I am sure that it will being the grooves are so shallow. I can't wait to shoot this little rifle.
I am hoping I can hit the range next weekend. I have a couple of little Marlin
Glenfield 60's that I have been working on and want to see how they shoot.

Back