savage mod 110 243 win good or not for coyote special

benny7mmWSM

hey guys i picked up this used savage 110 in 243 win and was wandering if you guys could give intel on this long gune never owned a savage before planed to used as a yote special. thanks for any input.

coyote special

Savage makes accurate rifles, the 243 is an accurate cartridge, sounds good...need a good scope and you are set.

savages are some of the most accurate out of the box rifles.

also with a new bolt head and barrel you can swap cartridges.

visit switchbarrel.com for more info.

i was hitting then in the head with a 22 magnum now we are hunting much more distance, i still will try to achieve the glorious head shot, by the way i know how to skin them critters and flesh them but what is the art of preserving and tanning the hide to making them soft and sellable? you can pm me

While there are many good to great cartridges, the .243 is one of the great ones.

I have been in love with the 243 since the late 50s.

A friend who reloaded, handed me his Winchester model 70 with a Leupold 4X and dot, AND an old canvas bag of loaded ammo.

Now that is the way to impress a kid!!!!!

Other then .22s which came in boxes of 50, everything I knew about came in 20 counts. WOW, a bag of ammo.

Sat down on the back steps of the house - we lived 7 miles from the nearest house - and started shooting at rocks up on the ridge. Bang POP. Dot on the rock, pull the trigger hit the rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bang POP.

If you reload, and providing your rifle will shoot the tiny bullets, the .243 will equal or better the great 22/250.

The first time I have seen 4000fps from one of my rifles was this past Fall. Shooting 55gr Nosler Balistic Tips from my old 22" RUGER "Flat Bolt".

With the 95 - 100gr. Nosler Partition, it is a good deer rifle within reasonable ranges.

Love the .243! :D

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Savage 110

Many years ago, CIL here in Canada marketed a bunch of Savage 110s under their own banner. I picked a 243 up for not too much money, slimmed down the stock a bunch to make it fit my young wife and started loading for it. To this day I'm not sure what twist the barrel is, but I found that factory loads were indifferent in the accuracy department. I have tried 85 gr Winchester and 100 Grain CIL factory loads, not very nice for accuracy at all. I worked up a load using WW760 and WW85 gr HP bullets that litteraly punched 3 shot one-hole groups from off the hood of a truck at 100 yards. Haven't been able to locate any Winchester 85 grain bullets for a long time now. Thinking of trying some Nosler balistic tip bullets to try and get a sharp load going for it again.
I think a lot of the accuracy of the rifle, but not much of the inherant accuracy of the factory loads I have tried.

Last edited:
Take my word for it, The bullet you want to use is the 65 grain V-Max. I use that with a full charge of IMR 4895. Killed a bunch of yotes with it. Shot lengthwise with the body, no exit wound.

Back