savage mod 11

stillquietvoice

i just picked up a used sav model 11 in 308 win. i am going to contact savage to get an exact variant and manufacture date. my sn g7894xx. i figure it is fairly recent manufacture from its features. flat reciever, top bolt release, non new style bolt, pillar bedded stock and lawer single screw trigger.
my initial question is when did savage produce single screw triggers and on what model.

in your opinion would it be worth getting the original trigger drilled for cimplete adjustability or should i get an after market replacement.

Last edited:
Your rifle was built after 2003, here is a link where you can see the manufacture dates by prefix. However, pay close attention to what is said in the very last post. Just because your rifle was made during the introduction of the Accutrigger, it doesn't mean that it was a new design.

"i am going to contact savage to get an exact variant and manufacture date."

Really??? Why does it make any diff? Get an actual aftermarket trigger rather than mess with the original. I bought a used Savage 110 years ago that was being sold cheap cause about 50% of the time, it would fire when the safety was released. Bubba dunn butched it up.

The Savage trigger can be tuned down to about 3 lbs reliably. If you want it lighter than that, get a Timney or Rifle Basix.

Last edited:
I have 2 Savage Model 10s in .308 that I use for target shooting with standard Accu-triggers that have been set at 2 lbs 2 oz for several years with no problems. However, if you try to adjust to much below 2 lbs., standard Accu-triggers can become a bit finicky, especially if you tend not to pull the trigger tab straight back. If the trigger is set too light and you touch the trigger tab from the side, the trigger has a tendency to lock up and you have to lift the bolt and start again. That is why I have my triggers set at just over 2 lbs. I haven't experienced any problems.

I just bought a new Model 11 in .22-250 and it came from the factory with its Accu-trigger set at 2 lbs. 3 ounces (actually 2.6 ounces on average measured with a Lyman digital gauge). I can live with that and won't even bother to adjust it.

The precision Accu-Trigger that comes on the Model 12 LRP (it has a red tab) can be adjusted to under 1 lb. I have one on order in 6.5 Creedmoor and will probably keep its trigger at 2 lbs. just so I don't have to adjust when I switch from rifle to rifle.

The Savage Acu Trigger comes in 3 types (4 if you count the 22)

Hunter: 2.5 lbs lowest.

Varmint: 1.5 lbs lowest

Target (Red Blade): Down to 8 oz or so.

You can change a hunter to a Varmint with a spring change.

You need a sear for the Target (part of the red blade)

I shoot mine at 1.5 lbs and do fine.

There is some variation so at times that is more like 2 lbs

I like the Acu in the Varmint weight more than enough not to change it to anyting else.

The trigger on My 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor is set at 12 oz. no issues with it at all.

To the op, unfortunately you can't replace the non accutrigger with an accutrigger. I suggest a Timney replacement trigger. Should be simple and straight forward to install.

Try the Savage Shooters site some very happy campers with a non acu that is adjusted right.

Better than spending $100 if you don't need to.

Back