Savage Mod 10 FCP 308

emissary1911

Anyone have one of these rifles and what is your pet load for it?
I just bought one of these ,2 weeks ago, waiting on a scope and mount!
Just testing the waters on what others are loading and shooting in their rifle and what works best for them!

Bullet weight?
Powder ?

Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks

Depends on what you want to do with it.
My nieces husband has one.
We worked up loads using Varget & RL15 and the 168gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets.
He did ok with his setup for his first 600 yard F-Class.
With his scope & rest setup i don't remember off hand if he shot F-Open or F-TR.
I remember on the way up he wanted to shoot F-Open.

His shooting has gone a different direction the past couple of years.
He's more into AKs and ARs doing rapid fire now. :rolleyes:

Oh well, every chess board needs pawns. ;)

I have two model 10 .308 -10 FP (hidden mag) and 10 FCP-K (detachable mag with muzzle brake) and a buddy has another 10 FCP (detachable mag) also in.308.

The two I own have 24-inch barrels. My buddy's 10 FCP has a 22-nch barrel.
The data I base the following conclusions upon represents over 1000 measured groups for each of the three rifles.

Unfortunately, I think I have bad news for you.
The model number doesn't give any basis for finding a 'pet load'.
You'll get lots of opinions but few with enough data to back them up.

Bullets:
The best performing bullets for one of these rifles don't mean anything for the other two.
The 10 FP likes 155 grain TMKS and 168 SMKs.
The 10 FCP-K likes 175 grain SMKs and TMKs and 195 grain TMKs.
The 10 FCP with the 22-inch barrel likes a wide variety of weights more based upon my buddy's inconsistency than bullet weight preferences.

Powders:
The 10 FP shoots best with IMR4166 Enduron followed by closely by IMR4064.
The 10 FCP-K shoots best with IMR4166 Enduron followed closely by IMR4064 and H4895
The 10 FCP shoots best with IMR4895 and N140.

Velocities:
The most accurate velocities are very different based upon the different harmonic resonance of the barrels - the muzzle brake changes the resonance between the two 24-inch barrels and the 22-inch barrel also changes the barrel resonance compared to the 24-inch barrels.

In my experience with two almost identical Savage 26-inch barrel rifles in 6.5mm CM,
'pet loads' don't exist for my two rifles that should have identical preferences.

The fact is that barrel characteristics depend a lot upon the age of the reamers used to cut the rifling and the chamber and the characteristics of the steel from lot to lot when the barrels were formed.

i too have a mod 10 FP, it likes the 168 weight bullets pretty good....BUT...it really likes the Nosler custom comp 175gr bullets....i mean it REALLY likes them kinda like cover 10 shots with a dime with room to spare likes them......all loaded with Varget powder

that is the norm for the rifle with the 175s and varget if i am on my game and doing my part ...it is kinda boaring ....lol...

i have had it to 700 and it really makes me look like i know what i am doing ....check the dope, dial it and send it

the rifle is not in the factory stock, it is in a choat super varmint... it is heavy but so nice to shoot

YMMV

ocharry

Back