Savage mkii FV-SR 22 LR Extractor Fix

Stats Shooter

I bought a savage Mk II FV-SR 22 LR a while back. I put a Boyd's pro Varmint stock on it, a Nikon monarch 4x16x44 scope Burris signature rings, and Apache trigger kit.
It is a great little rifle. With the right ammo it will shoot a 20 shot group you can cover with a quarter at 100 yards. At 200 yards it shoots softball sized groups.

The only thing wrong with the rifle, and it is a well documented issue, is the extractor. At first the rifle worked decent but after the first 250 rounds the extractor claw would leave the spent shell in the chamber. The shell wasn't stuck, but it wouldn't extract. I could easily pluck it out with my finger. Eventually it got to where 1 in 2 rounds wouldn't extract.

So after some google troubleshooting, the common recommendation was a good cleaning. So I did that, and it fixed the issue for a while, but this time it only took 50 rounds before the stuck cartridges began.

As easily as these stuck cases were to pull out, I couldn't believe that it was simply a dirty chamber. Someone suggested bending the spring back tight again. That helped some but still had stuck cases.

I had an idea and I called Savage. At no cost they sent me a new extractor claw and at my request 2 new springs. I put the same old claw on not believing that was the issue and I put on BOTH new springs, one right over the top of the other one.

Getting the 2nd spring to fit over the top of the first was a bit tricky and requires some grinding of the spring slots since it has to stretch farther. But it worked.

I waited and fired 500 rounds without cleaning to see if it happened again with the same old extractor claw and it didn't.

The rifle is a great value buy for a bolt action 22 but the extractor design is poor. New extractor springs are about $4 so order a few of them if you have this problem and try it. You might want to order extra in case you screw up fitting and filing the 2nd extractor spring. The additional spring ensures that it won't slip over the ring when you try to extract a case no matter how dirty it is.

You may notice the bolt closes a bit tighter as the extractor springs (, plural) have to stretch over the rim now, but NO MORE FTE's!!

Last edited:
Thanks you !!!!

Mississippi
Thanks for the heads up and information like this, is always appreciated. .... :)

Thanks again and,
Be Safe !!!

I did the same but Savage sent me two claws as well. So I put a new one on along with two springs. On my extractor you could see missing metal at on corner after 1000 rounds.

Back