Savage MK FV-SR

Stats Shooter

So I just got my savage Mk 2 FV SR. That's the one with the 16.25" threaded bull barrel and accutrigger.

First let me say the factory stock may be the cheapest POS stock I have ever seen on a rifle. However the rest of the rifle is outstanding and out of the box I'm shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards with a Nikon 4x12x40 on top in Burris rings.

I am going to put a Boyd's provarmint stock on it but I'm wondering about the adjustable comb. Usually I make my own cheek rests using leather, some foam pipe insulation, and leather straps....it makes for a very comfortable rest. But the Boyd's stock has a $60 option for an adjustable comb and I'm wondering if it is worth it? Or I can just make my own like always.

"...cheapest POS stock..." Part of the reason the MSRP is $289. The laminate stock will require bedding. The factory adjustable comb is entirely a personal preference. Don't think it'll make any difference with a 16.25" barreled hunting rifle.
"...and leather straps..." You'll find lacing it is a great deal stronger and more secure than you'd think. Made a double wrap sword scabbard a while ago with a laced hanger. Hasn't budged. Straps or lacing is a 6 of this half dozen of the other thing though.

Thanks T.O'Hair,

However I do take exception to the comment that 16.25" barrel is a "hunting" barrel.

Much research has been done and published illustrating that in .22LR, 16-18.5" is optimal for both match grade and hunting type ammo in the 36-40 grain weight plus 1200-1300 fps range. This includes federal match, remmington golden tip, and CCI mini mag. Anything beyond that barrel length creates drag.

Some of the hypervelocity.22LR may be able to utilize the the extra barrel length without drag but I have no research to support that.

Further, each ammo type has several"sweet spots" for barrel lengths...for instance a CCI mini mag in a certain gun/chamber may have accuracy nodes at 22" and 17" where the harmonics are best suited. Unfortunately the only way to know that is cutting the barrel down.

In any case, you test which ammo is most accurate out of your 16-19" barrel and you can rest assured you are getting the max velocity possible

An old 22 LR match champ from Kansas I used to shoot with had a custom built.22LR with a 17" barrel.

Apples and Oranges

The factory adjustable comb is entirely a personal preference. Don't think it'll make any difference with a 16.25" barreled hunting rifle.
It does make a difference on the proper scope alignment, regardless of the barrel length.

Much research has been done and published illustrating that in .22LR, 16-18.5" is optimal for both match grade
That might be debatable but what the experts say is that max velocity on the .22Lr, is achieved with barrels less than 20". Anything longer than that and you start losing velocity. 16-18" is preferred for this reason. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Any time you can get a better cheek rest its good.

Mostly is it worth it to you cost wise or does your own remedy work fine and happy with it? No right or wrong, personal choice.

Boyds Bedding: I disagree in that at least the one I have is a fine fit and shoots sub 5/8 inch groups if I do my end

I do have an EABCO stock that needed bedding. After a lot of messing around I build a laminate damn at the front to get the front pillar action screw a place to grip.

That also is sub 5/8. I plan to get that one bedded, leave the Boyds alone.

Back