Savage Mark 2 scope mounts

kmw1954

Hey folks I just picked up a used Savage MarkII 22 rifle which right now only has iron sights on it. Would like to add a scope but I'm unsure of the mounts. I haven't picked this up yet so I haven't seen it so I don't know. Some sited say this receiver has dovetails while others say it is drilled and tapped.

Anyways I'm not having much success locating the correct mount or rings. Here I thought with a brand like Savage the parts would be easy to locate and understand.

BTW, yes I found this thru Armslist and it is only about 1.5hr away so it saves me shipping and FFL transfer fees. The gun looks very lightly used from the pictures they have sent me.

wait and confirm

All the MK-II's I have seen, are drilled and tapped but yours may be an older one with dovetails. Why not wait and see what you have or post a picture. Bases are common and readily available. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Best I can tell from the pictures is that this is a pre Accu-trigger model. A member from Cast Boolits suggested that the Weaver #24 mounts are what will be needed if this is drilled and tapped.

So I just heard back from the seller and he tells me there are 3/8" dovetail rails in the receiver. He has also offered to scope it for me and has offered these, either a Simmons 8 point 3X9 for $40.00 or either a 2X7 or 3X9 FM for $35.00 and he will bore sight it..

What do you folks think? Should I take him up on it or pass?

Buy the rifle and pick your own scope and rings . On my dovetail rifles I use leaupold rifleman dovetail rings . It's about 20 but they don't move . Go out and look through some scopes to see what you like .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the advise.

I have the rifle in hand and I am somewhat impressed with it's overall condition for a $115.00 purchase price. Now to shoot it.

I will be looking into and studying the scope question as I admit I have a lot to learn.

Did a whole bunch of reading last night especially on 22 rimfire scopes and close ranges. So I've kinda narrowed my search to either a Nikon or Barska. The Barska has 2 models that interest me, the 22 Plinker and the 17 Hot Magnum, both of which have gotten excellent reviews on every site I've visited.

Back