Savage Mark 2...22 LR

Stats Shooter

Need a range report/review. Brother wants a bull barrel.22LR. He is looking at the Savage Mark II. Not the TR $400 version but the $200 version. Anyone fired/own one? Is it any good?

Excellent performers

Anyone fired/own one? Is it any good?
I guess the bottom line is that these will shoot better than you or I are capable of shooting. Now, if you go to the Savage website and select the exact model you are referring to, it would help. Not sure what you mean BY "TR" but suspect you are referring to one of their target models. Even in the MK-II family there are a number of variations or features. Yes, they are worth your tie and money. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

I have one, not sure what the difference is in models but I paid around $200 for mine a few years ago. It does not have the accutrigger but it does not bother me. It's a good shooter, stiff trigger but breaks clean. After a few years the action is buttery smooth. I'd say it's a good purchase!

Pahoo: it is the Savage Mark II FV, it has the threaded bull barrel 21.5" , accutrigger, and crappy polymer stock that will likely be replaced....$200. I have read some decent reviews, that it is one of the best shooters with a price tag south of about $800. With an upgraded stock, and then a nice rimfire scope the package will be totaled at around $500

You are correct and it shoots great !!!

Pahoo: it is the Savage Mark II FV, it has the threaded bull barrel 21.5" , accutrigger, and crappy polymer stock that will likely be replaced....$200.
You got that right and was accepting of the stock as this is a field hunter for me. Could not live with the crappy plastic butt-plate so I replaced that with a rubber one. Boyd makes a variety of stocks for this one and the fit, is perfect. If and when you got to a Boyd or equal, you will also have to buy a new trigger plate/guard and hardware. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

I got one on sale a couple years back. I don't remember what I paid for it but I'm sure it wasn't more than $160...

Anyway it's a great shooter and I don't regret buying it in the least. It came with a a 10 round mag that was rather annoying with how far it stuck out so I order a 5 round one at the same time I order the scope and mounts from Midway.

My only complaint is that about 1 in 20 rounds fails to extract. I've fiddled with it but so far no improvement. It could be mine is a fluke. In the mean time I just keep my Leatherman tool handy for when it fails to extract.

Tony

gripe

The only grip I have against the Mark II rifles is the 5 rd magazine that came with my TR. Savage replaced the first one, and the replacement exhibited the same probs. I've dorked with the second mag, and got some improvement for a while, but its basically a pain and I rarely use it. The 10 rd mags seem to work better, but I don't like them hanging out of the rifle.

As mentioned above the extractor is the weak link. Mine failed after about 800 rounds. I called up Savage and they sent me 3 at no charge.

Take a close look at the extractor and if it looks like it comes to a sharp point it is likely it has worn. It only took about 5 minutes to swap out. But yeah I was upset too. The new one has about 1000 rounds on it and has not worn out at all. Perhaps too soft of an alloy in the original. I bought mine 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. My LGS ordered mine today. Should be here next week. I will examine the extractor and if it fails I'll now know what to do. Also, if I get the new stock from Boyd's, I'll need a new trigger guard and bottom plate?

If I was going for a field 22, then a a CZ 452 or 455 would be the choice.

Very accurate, light weight, good iron sights and setup to take a scope.

In between the Savage probably wins (and with the acu trigger a big plus, I am a huge fan of that as a very good target trigger)

Full bench I would get one of the HB Savages (may do so as that is what I am doing these days)

Need a range report/review. Brother wants a bull barrel.22LR. He is looking at the Savage Mark II. Not the TR $400 version but the $200 version. Anyone fired/own one? Is it any good?

I've got the MKII G, walnut stock. It is dead nuts accurate. I have no issues using the 10 rd mags. It just has a cheap scope on it, but I'm giving it to my grandson next month for his birthday anyway , so it will do fine for awhile. $220 just a couple of months ago.

Back