Savage m10 mag mod

cptmclark

Howdy,
I have a model ten I modified for the 358 Hoosier. Now I want to rebarrel it to 6.5mm and see the Creedmore is all the rage. I’d prefer to use the 6.5-284 which will work but, could use a longer magazine for longest bullets. My question is about lengenthing the model ten magazine. Can I do that to gain maybe 0.1”?

Thank you for you ideas,

M

You cannot lengthen a mag without lengthening the receiver. The only thing you can do is load to mag length.
What did the M10 start out as? That'll be what determine show long you can go. Probably need a different follower too.
The COAL of the .358 is 2.55" with a 200 grain bullet. It's 2.98" with a 160 grain bullet for the 6.5-.284, according to Hodgdon. That's a lot more difference than .1". It's .480". Nearly half an inch.

The magazine box is not quite as long as the opening for it. Short action magazines vary a bit in length, and I’ve read about them being modified to accept a slightly longer OAL.
Maybe it won’t work on the model 10.
I’ve also read about some mngr offering a single shot mag topper, but I don’t find it now.

Back