Savage Hog Hunter

JimBobTX

I prefer Remington 700's, but the Savage Hog Hunter has me interested. Has anyone bought or shot one of these. Are they accurate? Reliable? I know the price ain't bad for a rifle with the options it has.

I've not shot one. Really liked the concept until I actually held one. I could see a lot of uses for a lightweight 20" 308 carbine with iron sights. But they have the cheap Stevens 200 stock on them which would have to go. They put a midweight barrel on them which not only makes the gun way too heavy for what I had in mind using it for, but the balance is terrible with such a heavy barrel combined with the lightweight stock.

I was rebuked in a PM for even asking about the Hog Hunter. I was informed it had been discussed before on here. I'm just looking for someone who's carried, shot, and maintained one before. Is it as accurate as they say? Does it feed reliably dirty? Because alot of hog hunting tends to get a rifle a little dirty chasing hogs & dogs through the brush. I was wondering about the stock and it's quality too. Thanks for the info...if anyone's shooting one of these, I'd like to see a range report :D

I was rebuked in a PM for even asking about the Hog Hunter

Nice.:rolleyes:

Frankly, I don't see that the features are all that useful for hog hunting. For a close in brush gun, super accuracy isn't all that critical, nor is the medium weight barrel, and I am not sure why they included a threaded barrel. I would also prefer a ghost ring rear sight, but that is just me.

I would probably get a Wal Mart 700 ADL and stick a Williams ghost ring on it, and call it good. Unfortunately none of the entry level Savages seem to come with iron sights, an Axis Stainless would be perfect, and is about a pound lighter and $100 cheaper.

Or find a Mosin M44.....:D

emcon5 said:
and I am not sure why they included a threaded barrel

Because in some jurisdictions it is legal to hunt hogs with a suppressor. In Louisiana, for example, it is legal to hunt hogs at night with a suppressor on private land. While we all know that you don't get the full noise reduction from a suppressor when using supersonic bullets, you do get lots of noise reduction, to the point where such a rifle might be a benefit, especially in those locations where you might not want to disturb the neighbors by firing a rifle after dark.

Back