Savage Hog Hunter 110 or 11.........What's the difference ??

rfins

Inactive
I am looking a Hog Hunter in 223 with a threaded barrel.

I see a model 11 and a model 110...…..What is the difference, are they the same action, etc, ………

The 110 is more expensive.

Traditionally 2 digit numbers were short action, 3 digits were long. The hog hunter used to come in 338 WM which is long action. All others were short action.

But when I looked at the Savage website it is now much more confusing. They still show some short actions with 2 digit model numbers, but many rifles with 3 digit model numbers now are chambered in short action cartridges.

As noted they changed it for whatever reasons.

https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57020

All 3 available l calibers are now listed as 110.

Keep in mind Cabella, Dicks etc may have in store models that say 10 and possibly features that the Savage listing does or does not have.

Savage claims the weight is the same so you may wind up with a heavier barrel in 223 (why would you call a 223 a Hog Hunter? style?

As others have mentioned, traditionally the 3 digit rifles have been the long action rifles while the 2 digit have been the short action. As an example, I have a Savage 10 in .308 whereas if it were a .30-06 by traditional standards it would be a 110 since it would require the long action. Basically, if it was a long action you tossed a 1 in front of the model number to make it 3 digits. Now, that nomenclature seems to be messier now so I'm not sure how much that holds up any more.

The other thing I've read is that the 11/111 Series has tended towards hunting (sporter type barrels, etc.) while the 10/110 series has been slotted to fill the Tactical/Law Enforcement role (heavier barrels, etc.). IIRC, the base action is the same but it's the other features that distinguish them. At one time I think the 10 denoted a detachable mag but that has definitely gone by the wayside as plenty of 11s now come with them.

I've also read over on Savage Shooters that there are 3 different accutriggers: Standard (2.5-6 lbs), Varmint (1.5-5 lbs) and Target (6oz-2lbs). My 10 allegedly goes down to 1.5 according to the listing but I haven't messed with it yet, so it might have the Varmint trigger? That may be a difference too but I don't know.

So, I guess it comes down to it's kind of a crapshoot and they've made a mess of their nomenclature. It definitely can make it a pain to get the right aftermarket stock, although I did a crap ton of research and got the right one on my first attempt.

The Varmint will go down to 1.5 if that is what you have (if its a 10 they tend to put those on those guns as they are more precision oriented)

You can make a Hunter (standard) into a varmint with a spring change.

If the OP would post links to what he is looking at more easy but that is the gist.

As far as I can tell, they are 2 different (but similar) guns with 2 different SKU numbers.

I have the older model 11, which they don't appear to make anymore. You could probably find one for sale new if you looked hard enough. Otherwise it looks like you have to get the 110. Savage switched over at some point for reasons I don't know.

BigBL87,

Your model 10 is a Law Enforcement model. The LE models and the Varmint models both have the LE/Varmint trigger that goes down to 1.5 lbs.

Back