Savage Hiawatha 587 or J Stevens Springfield 84c-

Herluf

Just inherited these two .22 rifles from my grandfather. Both will shortly be getting a much needed cleaning, but I'm probably only going to keep one. My final decision will be made once I get a chance to take them both to the range, but in the mean time I'd like to hear folks' opinions on which one to keep.

Both seem to be of similar vintage 40's-60's. Both are probably department store plinkers. Both seem to likely be valued at less than $100.

The Savage Hiawatha 587 (See list two posts down for other names for this rifle) is a tube fed semi-auto and appears to be a bit newer with less wear. The stock is either cheapo brown-dyed crapwood or fibrewood of some kind. There's also a recall on this one so I should probably send it in to get it looked at. The J Stevens Springfield 84c-is bolt action with a removable magazine. definitely more wear, but prettier wood and is a more attractive gun overall.

I'm leaning toward keeping the 84C-, but I'm willing to be swayed. Despite being an inheritance, I've received other guns from him with more value (sentimental and $) that I will be holding onto, so there's no pain in letting one of these go.

Attachments

• SSPX0002.jpg
    SSPX0002.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Welcome to TFL, Herluf.

I can't comment on the Savage, but I did own an 84C for awhile. No complaints concerning accuracy. I sold it because, as you can see in your photo, it's fairly long. Longer than I like in a .22. Certainly nothing wrong with it and if it were passed down to me I would have kept it. The Savage: does it shoot shorts and longs? Why the recall?

Thanks,
I hadn't really noticed, but the Springfield is fairly long. Good to know that it's a solid performer.

The Savage says it shoots long, but doesn't mention shorts. Looks like the recall... http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls 3.htm
...is because "there is a remote possibility that these rifles might fire while on SAFE"

If it helps anyone compare these two, the Savage 587 Hiawatha seems to be virtually the same gun as these:

Springfield: Models 187 and 187TS,
Stevens: Models 80, 88 and 887
Golden West: Model 781DL
Revelation: Models 135 and 160
Sears: Model 2200
Westpoint: Model 487T

This is only a gut feeling, Herluf. I have no experience with the 587. But I'd be leery of a semi-auto that old. Especially with that recall. A new (or newer) Ruger or Marlin would be my choice for a semi-auto. I think you'd be happy with the 84C.

That's something to think about. I'm not married to the idea of owning a semi-auto 22. There's a chance that at some point I'll end up with my step-dad's Ruger 10/22, which would render the Hiawatha unnecessary, but I'm not counting on that now.

Either way, it seems like the responsible thing to do is to first send the Hiawatha in for recall.

Back