Savage FP Series 308

big26john

I was looking at the Savage FP series 308. Does anyone own one or know what moa they shoot? Would you consider it fairly accurate for the price and for competition shooting? I want to spend a $1000 or less and would like as much accuracy as I can get for the money.

i had one in 20" trim (pre-accutrigger) that from the bench with fed GMM would shoot under 1/2 minute (3/4" at 200yds)...

i shot it at 800, 900 and 1000 yards in an F-class match (mimicking a palma match of 15rounds at each distance) and other than the stock being way too flexy, i was able to turn in a pretty good score. it was in 03 so i couldnt tell you what i finished with...

i traded it away for a like new smith M30 (.32sw long) with box and papers...

i need another one...

I have a pre-AccuTrigger model, too. The old stock was an issue as, with a bipod, sling position, or a front bag rest, the tip would rub the barrel. I could not get much better than 1 moa from mine until I replaced the stock, at which point I had a half moa gun with handloads tuned to the gun.

As to what you will get, that is somewhat individual to guns, but the potential to do well with the right load is pretty high. If I were buying mine new today, it would have not only the AccuTrigger, but I would be sure to get one that had the new AccuStock which has an aluminum insert system molded into it that includes a stiffener to prevent the problem mine had with barrel contact.

Back