savage four tenner conversion kit question.

candlejackstraw

Would a savage four tenner conversion kit for a 20gauge to 410 also be able to chamber and fire 45 colt? any experience with this?

I'm picking up an H and R crackbarrel and im thinking about getting one. I reload 45colt so that would be fun.

I have never used one. I have seen shotgun conversion rubes in the past. It may be possible to chamber and fire a 45lc in the barrel. BUT, it's a non rifled shotgun barel. Not at all designed to fire a metal cartridge bullet, I would recomend against it. I dont think its safe. It would have zero acciracy. Also, I'm pretty sure illegal.

you're right, they arent rifled. So maybe its not worth researching. I have no need to shoot 410 shells, but id like to shoot some pistol cartridges at long range. maybe ill get a lever action.

Shooting a rifle bullet from a smooth bore shotgun may be illegal. We are not talking about a rifled slug.like I said not sure of the legality regardless of what state you live in.

A few of the local cops hang out where I work.
Nothing against LEO, but IME they rarely are familiar with firearm laws. That is of coarse in NJ were our laws are "open to interpretation" at best

Those "four-tenner" inserts are pretty thin. I don't know what sort of pressure they would stand. I think you're asking for problems.

There is nothing wrong with shooting a single shotgun slug out of a shotgun, I can't see anything wrong with shooting a bullet out of an adapter in a shotgun. But then I am not a lawyer.

I CAN see plenty wrong with shooting a .45 Colt out of a Savage Four Tenner.
Cram a .452" solid slug through a .41" hole? Not me.

If you just must, there are rifled adapters so you might actually hit something after not blowing up your cheap shotgun.
http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

Lots of bad information here!
First: DO NOT SHOOT .45 COLT IN A SHOTGUN! There are a few guns that are designed to shoot both calibers, but most shotguns are not designed for the pressure and the bore is too small.

There is nothing illegal about shooting ball ammunition from a smooth bore.

Don't believe any of the Four Tenner's were made to handle 45 colt. Only 410 2-1/2 & 3"" shot shells. Doing so more than likely would destroy the Four Tenner adapter itself.

Like the others said, even without considering the differences in caliber, the shotgun barrel is mighty thin compared to a revolver designed for the .45 cartridge.
A quick side by side look at both types of gun barrels ought to convince you that it's a bad idea.
But if your mind is made up, we'll hold your beer. :)

The SAAMI drawing of the 410 bore explains nicely why you can shoot 410 out of a 45 LC barrel but not the other way around. The chamber for the 410 cartridge has max dimensions of 463, very close to the barrel needed for a 452 bullet. So a chamber for the 410 will act as barrel for the 45 LC bullet. BUT, the bore of the 410 is really .41", way to small for the 452 bullet.
Here's the drawing for the 45 LC, it asks for a minimal bore of .442.

That's awesome. I like the 410 out of the 45 vs 45 out of the 410 comparison. Since that's the case this gun will be put on the chopping block. Thank you all for your help. Apparently there was a 12 gauge four tenner that people also label for 45 colt, but that might be miss information or the obvious necessary added thickness

Back