Savage fcp-sr opinions?

oregongunner

Inactive
Hello all, I was at the local gun shop today. looking at some entry level long range rifles. I looked at a Savage FCP-SR in a .308 and liked in much better then the Remington 700 equivalent. Seams like you get a lot of rifle for the price. Anyways what do you guys think of it? Thanks

Jack

Ps. What would be a good optic for it? Under 400$

The only thing Savage has going for it is the ease of barrel swapping. I don't care for the looks, trigger, or stock so there's not much left. I shoot Savage rifles and own one of the most accurate 25/06's I've ever seen but I still don't "like" them.
Currently, Savage may be a better choice in the lower price range if you can live with the dorky looks. Either Remington or HOWA is a better looking rifle.

I have one and out of the box it put my 180gn Ar loads in one ragged hole at 100 yards. The stock feels a bit cheap but it is an accustock and flex doesn't seem to be an issue.

If you like it, buy it! It should be a shooter and you can upgrade the stock at a later date if you are so inclined. After market triggers are also avaibile, if you are not happy with the stock one.

What would be a good Rem 700 to look for? (with heavy barrel) Seems like theres more parts and accessories out there. thanks

Jack

Choice of optic depends on application.
Short range hunting? Usually the ever-popular (and thus, less expensive due to production numbers) 3-9x.
Target? A lot of disagreement here. I'm in the "aim small, miss small" camp.
Even at 1000 yards on a 95 degree day with mirage cooking up off the sand, a high-power scope can be dialed down to useable magnification.

Midway has the 6.5-20 x 44 Vortex Viper on closeout for $330 shipped. I believe Vortex is discontinuing this model (and keeping the 50mm). Unless you do low-light shooting the diameter of the front objective won't be relevant. IMO, you can't match any other scope with a 20x top end to this one, for this price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...x-44mm-side-focus-dead-hold-bdc-reticle-matte

Back