savage edge XP 30-06

rogerha

Inactive
Is the savage edge 30-06 worth getting if I can get it for $200? It it's the package deal so it comes with a 3x9 40mm scope; not sure of brand or model though

For $200, I would classify that as a decent price, but there are a handful of other options that will be better quality firearms for not much more. Even moving the budget up to the $300-$350 range can get you something that will be a noticeable improvement. Examples in that price range would be Marlin X7, Stevens 200, and some of the base model Savage 11/111 rifles. It may take some bargain hunting to find them, but online sellers often have some pretty good prices. Bud's is a good website to start with.

If $200 is all you can invest in a rifle right now, there are certainly worse places to start than the Savage Edge, and that is reasonably below the prices I usually see.

Don't place any value at all on that scope if it is the one that came on it from the factory. They are generally low-end Simmons or similar quality. Price it for the value of the gun only. If the scope works, then just consider it a bonus.

My son has the Axis (Edge) in .30-06. I can easily shoot sub-MOA @ 150 yds (on a good day :-) with it.

As the last poster suggested: I too would strongly consider a scope upgrade if I were dead set on getting that rifle/scope combo.

Have you thought about hitting the gunshows for a good used rifle?

Thanks for the advice guys; I was thinking about getting it because The Sports Authority is having a 20% off all clearance items and this combo package was at one of the stores. But since I would have to upgrade the scope it's not really that good of a deal. FYI The sale ends today and you have to print the coupon off their website and its good for one item.

As long as you understand what you are buying. The Edge rifles are not designed or meant to be used a lot. If you are a serious shooter, you will not be satisfied with the gun. If you want a cheap beater to knock around on an ATV, or if you are the guy who can make a box of ammo last several years they will serve your needs. They do tend to shoot well enough, but long term durability is a concern and when something breaks it will cost more to repair than the gun is worth. I've read of one that had a broken stock and a replacement was significantly more than the owner paid for the gun.

If I wanted a gun for those needs I'd pay $200 for one. When something breaks I'd take it to a gun buyback program.

Back