Savage Bolt Release, one hand operation

RC20

I am severely annoyed when I read remarks about how cumbersome the Savage bolt release system is requiring 3 hands.

Apparently the writers don't bother to figure it out.

Pull in trigger, push down on the release, let go trigger, use the free hand to pull bolt out.

Same thing going in.

Are gun writers mechanically challenged?

Most of them are English majors whose main strengths lie in putting words on paper. Most of them know enough about firearms to mis-state the obvious and shoot deer they are pointed at by guides.

I am severely annoyed when I read remarks about how cumbersome the Savage bolt release system is requiring 3 hands.

Apparently the writers don't bother to figure it out.

Pull in trigger, push down on the release, let go trigger, use the free hand to pull bolt out.

Same thing going in.

Are gun writers mechanically challenged?
Actually, going in you just need to pull the trigger on my Savage.

I do HATE the ergonomics of the whole thing even if it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Most of my other rifles are Winchester M70s.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just tried putting it in with just trigger pulled, works, cool. I thought the initial resistance was the release, never tried it just pulling trigger.

Some days you do learn something new!

I just do not mind the release. 1917 Enfield has such a hard release it take huge effort, Savage is a piece of cake.

Honestly, I've not seen the bolt removal procedure as being such a big deal. It's not something that happens all that frequently.

Hmm, mine comes out pretty much weekly, I shoot 100 rounds or better a session.

In and out weekly a lot to check bullet COAL for starting point on reloads as well.

Different maybe, works well, very positive, a heck of a lot easier than a 1917 Eddystone (which is one handed but harder than *&() to get pulled back.

Not sure what drove it, I gather there is now a new type, not sure I like the description but have not handled one.

My project rifle I choose specifically as it has the old type and a segment barrel nut.

Back