savage axis wont eject??

axis223

I have an axis HB 223 and the cases wont eject unless I ram the bolt back real hard. sometimes it will eject with minimal force and some not.

When my 270 hangs up I take something and press on the ejector a few times. I usually get a partial Brass Ring that got shaved off the case.

Not uncommon. I second the advice to thoroughly clean the EXTRACTOR on the bolt (the ejector is just a spring -loaded plunger.....not much to go wrong there). This problem, when exhibited by push-feed actions of most brands, is almost always a dirty extractor, that is sticking.....or a weak extractor spring.

If the fired case is popping off of the extractor hook and staying in the action, then the extractor is almost certainly to blame.

Bear in mind, though, that most push-feed actions won't eject very well if the bolt is not smartly retracted. My Stevens 200 is the same in this regard. Nothing wrong with the extractor (I've cleaned and checked it thoroughly)....but if I forget and withdraw the bolt too softly, the case will pop off the extractor and not eject, almost every time. As long as I open the bolt "smartly"....it works just fine.

The point being, they aren't designed to be opened gently.

Post #4 you mean ejector, the extractor only extracts the case, the ejector sends it down your "Ranger buddy's " collar.

NO, I mean the EXTRACTOR. Ejection cannot occur, if the EXTRACTOR does not hold on to the case properly, keeping it in position against the bolt face, until the bolt is withdrawn to the point that the ejector can flip it out of the ejection port. On push feed actions, such as the Savage Axis in question, the ejector is only a spring-loaded pin which projects through one side of the bolt face. A very simple....almost foolproof device. As such, as long as the ejector spring is not broken, which almost never happens, the ejector will do it's job - AS LONG AS THE EXTRACTOR FIRST DOES IT'S JOB.

With these actions, it is almost always the EXTRACTOR that malfunctions, if a malfunction does occur. If, as I said before, the fired case is popping loose from the extractor, before being ejected, it will stay in the action as the bolt is withdrawn. That is an EXTRACTOR problem - NOT necessarily an ejector problem.

Bought an Axis .223 when it was named the Edge.

Chuckle, from day one with the rifle, it had poor extraction. Like you, a hard/fast jerk on the bolt was necessary to eject spent brass.....and then it'd kinda dribble out out the receiver.

ive found a lot of unreliability in savage firearms. i think its due to the quickness of their production. kinda like the russian 7.62-54r mosin nagants sticky bolt issue. you just have to tough it out.

well it must have needed broken in because not it ejects fine. it also could have been the wrong mag because I have 2 savage axis but ones when they went from edge to axis and the other is a new heavy barrel. I mixed the mags up and then realized it and fixed it and not issues now.

Back