Savage axis va rem sps

Backwoodsboy

Been playing with my .300 wby mag and falling head over hheals for bolt actionn, but being a collectors piece I have decided to display my nwtf vanguard in limited production I have decided.to look for a 30-06 or 7mm-08 in another make to fulfill my hunting needs can you guys give me the possitives and negatives of each caliber and make to convimce me why I should buy, thNks in advance.

I don't think it is fair to compare the Savage Axis to the Rem. SPS. I am NOT a Remington fan but you are comparing Savages low-end, entry, bolt action to a Rem. that costs considerably more.

I'll say this-the Axis will probably be MORE accurate right out of the box, and will not be finicky about what ammunition you shoot in it.

The Rem. will cost considerably more, will be less accurate, but will have a slightly better fit & finish, and will retain a little more value should you decide to sell or trade it later.

So it comes down to what your plans are for the rifle long term. If you want something that you can sell later, or trade for something else later, down the line, get the Rem. If you are really wanting the best priced, most accurate gun, and have PLENTY of money left over for a really good scope, or ammunition, or reloading supplies-go Axis.

I concur, it's probably not fair to compare the Savage Axis and the Remington SPS. A more fair comparison might be the 11/111 FHNS. Those two are comparable fairly, both in features and in MSRP.

That being said however, if you're simply looking for a rugged hunting rifle you might not do better than the Axis. I've liked what I've seen of them so far and I have one on order; a left-hand Axis in .308 for a teenaged grandson.

While I'm sure your Vanguard is a nice rifle, I just wouldn't hold out very much hope of it really appreciating in value. These commercial rifles stamped with whatever organization is paying a little extra money for of never realty amount to much in the way of collectors value. It would be a different a story if it was a commissioned custom built rifle by a well known gunsmith with documentation. I know I wouldn't worry about ruining any collectors value by hunting with that rifle.

I've been very satisfied with the performance of the axis for the price. The trigger is the worst part, IMHO. As for your vanguard if playing is the same thing as shooting I'd keep shooting it. Once it's been shot it's been shot.

Ok, first I do realize the two guns mentioned are far apart as far as price and fit/finish, I should have been more specific in my origional post. My main issue is it worth the extra money to purchase a rem 700 sps when I have been hearing that the savage axis is more accurate. Yes I know the 700 has crazy amounts of aftermarket support but I dont need that. My main use will be hunting and target shooting. So is it worth the extra.

As far as the rifle appreciating in value, thats not why I have decided to display it, its more because I really have no need to use a 300 wby mag or any mag at this point. Hopefully in the future I will get drawn for one of the many elk or moose tags I apply for each year at which point it will come off the wall and be hunted with. In my opinion and its just an opinion fellas its just too lg of a caliber for deer and black bear. Not to mention it gives me an excuse to buy another rifle, shhh dont tell my wife lol

And I want to apologize for my spelling errors, I have been using a phone to post this and I have big clumsy thumbs

Back