Savage Axis II Stainless.... opinions

Buddy of mine wants to get into long range shooting for a very, very reasonable price.

At Walmart, he found a Savage Axis II in Stainless in .308.

He asked me what I thought. While I don't own, nor have ever shot an AXIS II, I do have a model 12 and three Model 110's that I love.

Anyone know anything about these guns sold at Walmart? The price is incredible at $306.... and it is a stainless action and barrel.

He could drop a $200 scope, mounts and rings on it and it is a starter gun for his $500 budget.

My Axis in .308 was a terrible shooter--don't do it.:D:D
attachment.php

Seriously though, you'll need to think about barrel performance over lots of shots if you're thinking consistent long-distance shooting. There are many on here who could give better advice on that matter than me.

Attachments

• 150 Bsilvertipjpg.jpg
    150 Bsilvertipjpg.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,061
Well... just remember... this is a guy that wants to shoot 600-1k for about a year to see if the sport is even appealing to him.

He's the kind of guy that will study and research hard and if the bug bites him... he's likely to spend $5k next year on a nice platform.

Get a Savage 110 Tactical. It'll have a proper trigger, full bedded action, and a target barrel. I changed the triggers on my friends Axis 243 and 308 to make them decent shooters, but they are freakin cheap for a reason.

Last edited:
I saw a YouTube video, the name of which escapes me, where the guy in the video talked about rust issues with the Savage Axis barrel. I’m sure you could find it via a search. In other words, you get what you pay for

Last edited:
I'm as big a fan of the axis as you can find--have had at least a dozen of them but they eventually have all lost the barrel for an upgrade. I've done everything from improve the "as is" gun with it's notorious Tupperware stock (which to be fair has improved over the years, but still is a flex) as much as I can to basically a complete rebuild with only the receiver remaining. IMO, as a cheap budget gun for off-the-shelf accuracy and hit the field that weekend for hunting--there is no better deal from anyone.

There are IMO several "can't deny physics" aspects though which you may want to consider before showing up at the king of 2 mile competition with one intent on making the folks with expensive jobs feel embarrassed.

Using a light sporter barrel, as you ramp up the number of your shots and frequency those POI's are going to start walking as well as the harmonics are going to change somewhat. That's OK as long as you have the luxury of timing and spacing your shots, which is what I usually do and thus can get great results with the stock barrel. If you have a bore scope DO NOT look at the bore when you get a new axis--it's usually a railroad track horror show which may cause you sleepless nights while scheming about showing up Bryan Litz or the T-rex dude (he always reminds me of Blazing Saddles for some reason:D) what's what with your axis.

Just my personal opinion--but what separates the axis from savage's more expensive 110 models really isn't all that much except one key area which I never see mentioned in the optimistic reviews, but the recoil lug in the chassis plan as well as the rear receiver screw which passes through the trigger assembly--essentially making the trigger part of the rear support column between the stock and the receive--IMO means the receiver can never be as movement free as a more solid arrangement like on the 110's on up. It's almost as if savage detuned the design to make the upgrade path to their more expensive designs more palatable. That the axis is capable of amazing accuracy considering all it's feature's shortcomings is something of a mysterious miracle. If you're willing to baby-sit it's "moods" depending on the bore fouling, temperature and "just right" hold--it is capable of amazing consistency. And there is no denying the hedonistic appeal of showing up far more expensive rifles, but physics will catch up with it if you start taking fast-paced larger groups.

Last edited:
You asked so here goes: The Axis II is an entry level bolt action rifle for all rifle disciplines. Hunting, plinking, target, long range, etc. Having the experience of owning very many firearms, entry level to custom built I say. Buying any rifle today in the one thousand dollar range you will always get your money in resale provided you take care of it. If you buy a $2,000 BT-99 to shoot trap and after a year tire of it. You can easily get your money back for your next game. The same goes for the long range game. Except many competitors spend as much or more on the optics. That being said, If he spends two thousand of the five he has to upgrade, a thousand on a rifle and a thousand on the scope, he will never be disappointed. This is based on the mentioned five thousand. He saves three to buy you something for the free advice! You’re welcome!

I have a Savage Axis II in 308, it was under $300 and shoots fine. Long range shooting ???, I don't know. For poking holes in tin cans, it gets a thumbs up. Have him buy it and see how it works. Not a big investment.

Thanks for all the opinions and feedback.

Remember, this is an Axis-2... not the original Axis. It has the Accu-Trigger and once again, it is stainless.

It does have a really cheap feeling stock, as I went down to Wally World and checked it out.

Back